DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into a kit for my car. Not sure what kind but somewhere along the lines of a 100 shot. This is on a 88 5.0 by the way. My question is what Must I have to upgrade to make a 100 shot work. Also will I run the chance of screwing up my tranny, rear or anything along those lines? I've been told a stock engine can hold a 100 shot without doimg any harm if thats true. Last question is I have heard that fuel upgrades on the speed density cars tend to run bad without some sort of tuning, and was wondering if that was true.

Thanks for any help,
Andrew

·
Registered
696 Posts
andrewnexus94 said:
I am looking into a kit for my car. Not sure what kind but somewhere along the lines of a 100 shot. This is on a 88 5.0 by the way. My question is what Must I have to upgrade to make a 100 shot work. Also will I run the chance of screwing up my tranny, rear or anything along those lines? I've been told a stock engine can hold a 100 shot without doimg any harm if thats true. Last question is I have heard that fuel upgrades on the speed density cars tend to run bad without some sort of tuning, and was wondering if that was true.

Thanks for any help,
Andrew
As I said over on WSM:
Probably the safest kit out there would be a plate kit to go between the upper/lower intake, but it must have a minimum of 150 shot to work properly. For a 100 shot, a dry NOS 5115 kit would probably be the best bet using the stock intake, etc...
As far as the engine and tranny, the engine will hold up fine. Run a little colder plug and take out 2-4 degrees of timing. Only run 93 octane fuel as well.
As far as the tranny, I believe your car is an AOD, that said if it has 90k plus miles and has never been rebuilt, you will be pushing your luck. My AOD went out at 91k or so which was right when I started playing with the car more. It went out 2 weeks after I Put in 3.73 gears. So I had it rebuilt and a transgo shift kit installed. I was told the tranny should handle 500 or so horsepower.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope My car is a 88 5 speed. Your probably thinking of my old 90 (tranny was pretty built up) I miss her. I sold that a few months ago. Tranny at the moment I beleive has 80k which is original. I'm not going to take the chance with a 150 shot for I dont have the money to chance. I will probably stick with a 100 wet. I wont be spraying that much for I dont race much. Well havn't raced once in 3 years I've owned a stang. But hopefully I will come out of the high 14 sec status, and have a car I accually want to take to the track.

·
Premium Member
36,166 Posts
My T45 has held up to 450rwhp+ for a good while, and I was making 300+ for a couple years before that. You should be fine with a stock motor and a 100 shot.

·
Registered
243 Posts
first thing to be safe upgrade the fuel pump. this is a pain so buy big so you won't have to do it again if you do more mods or sc in the future (190lph bare min but suggest the 255lph). next is get a adjustable fuel pressure regulator. 2 steps colder on plugs and change the gap (the kit manufacture can tell you what they recomend or call kim barr) drop the timming to be safe i use 3 degrees for every 100hp of n20. and take away another 1 degree for 50hp. so example for a hundred shot i would take 3 degrees out from it and for 150 i would take 4 degrees out. also may sound kinda funny but before you spray use a intake cleaner that goes through a vaccum line. alot of buildup can cause a lean condition or even bad distrubution of n20 to all the cylinders. make sure to check the plugs for color. white ashy stuff is lean and black soot is rich. i go for a med tan color to be alittle on the rich side for safety. check all plugs at the end of your first n20 pass. again very important to pull all plugs and check. you will tune for the leanest cylinder. that means if some cylinders run rich to get the leanest one right then so be it. because it only takes 1 cylinder to fail to kill the whole thing. if it is too lean you can up the fuel pressure some to compensate. if you plan on going bigger than a 150 shot then upgrade injectors to at least 24lbs.

the tranny will not take a bottle launch. on a factory 5 trans you will need to be cautious. power shif while on the bottle and you will destroy it. if you launch on the bottle it will also fail. on a stock tranny i spray during the pull in the gear and stop spraying when i shift and start accelorating in the next gear then i hit it again. remember the tq of the motor is more than doubled at the touch of a button. and tq not hp is what breaks stuff like trannies and rears. on n20 the lower the rpm the more tq it builds and slowly falls as rpm rise. so keep that in mind since even a world class tranny is barely up to 350ftlbs of tq and on the bottle you will be around 500 ftlbs at or below 2700 rpms. these figure are a guess based on a 150 shot.

if performance is your main goal then upgrading the tranny is in your future. go ahead and get the tko 600. this is like the fuel pump it is a pain to do so buy big now and that way you only buy it once.(learned that the hard way)

**reasons for upgrades**

1.) the fuel pump uprade is a must. especially for a dry kit. lean is bad
2.) the FPR is to make sure of your pressure and make sure it is stable through the rpms. again lean is bad. also it aids in tuning
3.) the timming keeps detonation in check since the cylinder pressure is going up on the n20

·
Ya Dats my Wifey!!!
5,806 Posts
very well said! cornbread!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info cornbread. I Dont plan on spraying to often for i wont have money for he track after I buy this kit. If it goes through I am going with a nx wet 100 shot with Nos nozzle. I dont plan on spraying off the line for I am on 225 crappy street tires, and it would be stupid. Dont have the money to chance at all. Tko is nice, but at the moment college is draining the funds. I Plan to upgrade it later though, hopefully when I get my job with HPD :D.

·
Loves the Haterz!!
12,228 Posts
i had a 175 shot on my car
single nozzle before the throttle body...also a wet kit..lol
wouldnt suggest it unless u can fine tune ur car not to detonate
my car ran its ass of on a 175 shot
stock heads and stock internals...block still looks good too
plate between upper and lower is the best though..no chance on blowing ur intake in two
just put a adjustable fpr, 190 or 255 pump and a NOS 5115 kit and ur set to haul some ass

·
Registered
243 Posts
nx kit it is fine. the stock tranny will live as long as you are easy with it. if you have any questions about the kit call nx they will give you plenty of info over the phone. i understand limited funds but you should invest in a low pressure switch for your fuel pressure. this will keep things safer. if you have any concerns about tuning make sure you have about 65 bucks extra and hit a dyno. you can monitor a/f ratio and make changes before each pull. you can get it close so you will be safe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts