DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Old Fart
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rem. 7mm magnum is a shoulder buster.

I need something I can shoot all day at coyotes, pigs and deer.

I was thinking a 243. But this may be a little small on hog.

Having to carry 2 rifles is no bueno.

What's the biggest caliber you can shoot all day?

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
I would get a 308

Easy on the shoulder, and not to bad on the wallet

·
Never settle always excel
5,268 Posts
GT98SVO said:

If you want something that is great for Hogg, pigs and deer look at DPMS, they have several calibers in the AR style rifle. Get away from the bolt actions so you're not the recoil mechanism for each shot. Check out this website, if these are to expensive an SKS would be good as they are 7.62x39 and have aftermarket stocks that are scope friendly, etc.

·
Old Fart
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, all the 308 Win. family are a possible.

.243, .260, 7mm-08.

Even a 257 Roberts Improved. Sure it's not .308 Win based, but close as possible in .25 caliber.

But never shot these, so not sure on comfort level of 20+ rounds a day.

Maybe a Rem. 750 Woodsmaster.

·
Registered
726 Posts
.243 or .308 surplus ammo for the .308 is cheap and they have match grade if you want to cut small holes in paper.

.243 is plenty for hogs with any sort of shot. And has a bit more range than the .308 if you want to shoot yotes at say 1000 yards.

·
Dyno Racing King!!!
3,675 Posts
GT98SVO said:

Put a pachmayr pad on it and quit being a girl.

·
Old Fart
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have an SKS, those aren't very good past 150 yards. 7.62x39 engineering is for < 150yards.

Has to deal with 'yotes.

AR-style gun would prolly work. Not sure how easy to maneuver the 20-24in barrel version in/out stands, etc.

latest AR Carbines have pretty good accuracy, but not sure if they can hit 350yards with a 2-stage trigger.

·
Old Fart
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I reload. :)

My dad's premium ammo for 375H&H is 80-120$.

Winchester white box of 7mm Mag 150gr is 20$ at Wally World. Accurate stuff.

I think my rifle reload's are about 30$ for 100cnt. Most of that is bullet cost.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Juiceweezl said:
Put a pachmayr pad on it and quit being a girl.
Oh snap the weezl has spoken, basically quit being a Girly Boy and man up nukka.

·
In the field
1,280 Posts
I hunt with a Winchster model 70 .243. I bagged my African animals with it, numerous Whitetail, exotics, pigs, etc with it. Great all around gun and it's pretty light if your out in the field for extended amounts of time.

·
Registered
377 Posts
.243 has been a Texas tradition for anything from whitetail on down. A certified freezer filler since heck was a pup. It's perfect for hogs and yotes too. You could probably go to a much lighter rifle and still handle the recoil. It is an excellent medium game/ medium range rifle. I would not go for a mulie at 600yds, but then that's what the 7mag is for.

Also don't rule out the .223 for just plinker fun. I bought a sindgle shot Handi-rifle real cheap to shoot "dogs". Super small, super light and you will run out of ammo before your shoulder gets sore.

·
Doughnut Lover!
2,736 Posts
Browning BAR MkII w/muzzle brake. I have one in 30.06 and have have run thru a whole box of ammo with no soreness at all. It's loud as hell though.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I've got a Ruger M77 .270 that is probably the smoothest gun I have ever shot. I've knocked down everything I have shot except for one deer that I just completely missed, thanks to a bump from a my buddies son right as I pulled the trigger. I've also got a Savage 110 30.06 that is a shoulder buster of the highest order. I've put a recoil pad on it, just made it worse. I've always been told that a .270 is the best all around gun for hunting anything in Texas.

·
iHustle
8,769 Posts
Fox466 said:
Just picked up a Remington 700 in .270 today. Now to get out to the range this weekend... :cool:
Good choice! .270 was my first real rifle....one of the best all around calibers out there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts