DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Marcus Aurelius
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rolling straight foward or backward, everything seems fine. Makes no noises or seem to have any snags or hangups.

If i'm turning, the rear makes loud metal-grinding-metal noises, and the car gets real jerky and makes me think the axles are about to snap.

It's the same type noises you would hear if you were to have a spool, or have the spider gears welded together.

I'm not going to mess with it anymore 'til tomorrow when it's light out, but what should I be looking or listening for?

My friend who gave me the diff said that since the clutches were installed so tight, that they need to break in and they'd make some noise until then.

How much noise is normal though?

·
Darkside
20,120 Posts
Might try the friction modifyer for posi tracs that you can get from auto zone or o'reillys. Just ask for the additive for positracs..........they will know what your talking about. After you put it in...........do quite a few figure eights to get it circulated. Good luck. btw.......I have the same problem.

·
Marcus Aurelius
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, i already added some when I filled up with fluid.

I'm just not sure it's supposed to make this much noise.

·
UNFUCKWITHABLE
12,482 Posts
How much of the friction modifier did you add?

When I was running the 12 bolt, I had the Moroso Brute Strength carrier (800lb springs) in it, and i put in the recommended one bottle of additive and it still chattered like crazy.

I ended up having to add another half bottle before it quieted down. I didnt have any problems with it after that.

- Matt

·
Banned
31,758 Posts
sounds like your diff is packed tight... (hence the trouble getting the axles in)

my silver car was the same way, and the diff made noise for a couple days... the friction modifier just needs to get absorbed into the clutches... you can spike it with another bottle of modifier, but once it soaks in, I'd drain the diff and fill it with straight gear oil that's rated for limited slip diffs (don't add any friction modifier) your diff will be tighter and last longer.

Forrest

·
Marcus Aurelius
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how long until the clutches absorb the fluid? anything i need to do to speed it up or to help it along?

should i just let it sit for a while, or should I go drive it?

·
Banned
31,758 Posts
took a few days... and that was with the additional modifier in there.

I know it sounds like shit, but the more you drive it, the sooner it'll go away. it's not hurting anything.

Forrest

·
Premium Member
16,774 Posts
if the clutches are brand new they are just not coatetd in oil. You need to drive to a close big parking lot, and start doing lock to lock figures 8's that will help get everything all lubed up. The noise should go away after doing that for about 5 minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts