DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hustlin'
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the thread implies my new 19" 1900FP LCD (Samsung) doesn't care to much for this old video card.....Yes I am building a new box soon but WTF!

Ive hooked it up to my ole 166 HP laptop and it comes up great, windows desktop, 1024x768 16bit (can't do the 1024x1280 the monitor wants but hey at least it looks right and works).

Upon hooking it up to the 2mg vid card desktop computer it POST's shows bios info, RAM checks and then gives my windows splash before GUI load. upon the transition from splash to GUI the monitor says 'unusable signal' or something like that.

Upon loading safe mode.....16 color 640x480 WORKS PERFECT. I'm 99% sure that this super new bad ass lcd just doesn't care for the OAK VGA 11-11-1996 driver that my 2mg tv/vid card uses. I'd hook it up via DVI but alas no dice on the old school card their either.....

What's weird is that it worked beautifuly, abeit at a smaller res, on my 166 laptop...at least it works and I didn't get a messed up monitor; the only thing I'm worried about is that there might be something wrong w/ the input to the lcd....I'd like to test it on another machine but I really don't want to transport it..

Anyhow, does anyone car to comment on this sticho or give a suggestion (other than the GET NEW COMPUTER one)?

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Its probably the refresh rate you have set for your monitor in windows. Its trying to sych up at a refresh rate or resolution that is not supported.

Go into safe mode, display properties and the monitors section. See what monitor is specified, change it if necessary, and set a default refresh rate of 60 Hhz.

It could be the display driver, but if it works with other monitors, then its probably the refresh rate.

-Chris

·
Hustlin'
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chris said:
Its probably the refresh rate you have set for your monitor in windows. Its trying to sych up at a refresh rate or resolution that is not supported.

Go into safe mode, display properties and the monitors section. See what monitor is specified, change it if necessary, and set a default refresh rate of 60 Hhz.

It could be the display driver, but if it works with other monitors, then its probably the refresh rate.

-Chris
I'll check the refresh, good tip thanks Chris. However...look what I foudn from Dell's website on this LCD

Color Support: 24-bit (16.7M colors)
Max Resolution: 1280 x 1024 at 75 Hz Max Sync Rate (V x H): 76 Hz x 80 KHz

Doesn't say that it supports lesser colors/bits (although I would assume it would since it does 16 color 640x480).

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,199 Posts
2mb video card. . .

·
Hustlin'
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AbecX said:
2mb video card. . .
Yes sir. This card has a tv tuner, bought back in 97 and has served me well. It came w/ a wireless remote and I have been using my computer for a TV ever since w/o an issue. Since I have limited space I like my computer to double as a TV/VCR.

My plans for the new system include an ati vid card w/ tv and wireless RF remote. Again, I just would like this to work in the mean time :)

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,199 Posts

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,199 Posts
Now that I read the post, I see what you are saying, I'm pretty sure its your bad ass video card ;)

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Go get you a PCI TNT2 or Geforce and run that bad boy! It will look clean.

·
Hustlin'
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Erfan Z28 said:
Go get you a PCI TNT2 or Geforce and run that bad boy! It will look clean.
Either of those (or other high end VID ONLY) cards shure will. Since I have a 'tv/vcr' requirement (plus the need for other a/v inputs) the ATI flavor will likely be the best for my application. Their higher end cards w/ much RAM can't be all that bad in terms of gaming AS COMPARED TO WHAT I'M USED TO. I'm sure one of the ATI's will work well and give a good picsture w/ my new monitor...(which is so bad ass I can't hardly stand not using it having it sit there unhooked to anything.)

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Does your current desktop have a AGP port? If it does, pick you up a cheap ATI All in wonder 16 meg with all the A/V capabilities.

·
Hustlin'
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Erfan Z28 said:
Does your current desktop have a AGP port? If it does, pick you up a cheap ATI All in wonder 16 meg with all the A/V capabilities.
AGP!!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHA, fraid not; got a few spare ISA's though hahahhaha

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
blacksn95 said:
AGP!!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHA, fraid not; got a few spare ISA's though hahahhaha
LOL!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
your gonna get raped if you try to buy a high end pci card... ive found a geforce2 decent pci card for around 50$ which is a good deal..but honestly.. upgrade that 1980 motherboard to something within this decade.. your system will love you for it.

·
Hustlin'
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chris said:

-Chris
After the holiday madness I had a chance to tinker w/ the refresh and walla....

Good suggestion Chris, thanks. For an action shot check out this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.