DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,877 Posts
Eat lotsa "clean" calories, make sure your workouts are intense, and get plenty of rest.

·
Registered
124 Posts
eat everything in sight :) Make sure your eating enough protien to produce an environment for muscle growth.
Work out hard, but remember you grow outside the gym so get your rest. Good luck!

·
#1 Howard Stern fan
4,864 Posts
WTF !!
I eat like a s.o.b. and cant gain shit....Im the same weight. My workouts are very intense.....Im not getting fatter but Im not getting much bigger either.....what do you guys ea to gain weight ? Foods in particular and how much ?? how often ??

·
Premium Member
31,877 Posts
GARS02GSTA said:
WTF !!
I eat like a s.o.b. and cant gain shit....Im the same weight. My workouts are very intense.....Im not getting fatter but Im not getting much bigger either.....what do you guys ea to gain weight ? Foods in particular and how much ?? how often ??
My first response was a bit over simplified, but the main three factors in gaining solid mass are your diet, your workout, and rest. Slack on any of those three and your progress will stagnate. Your diet should be rich in protien with atleast one shake a day (directly after your workout), and maybe another one or two if you are finding it difficult to eat enough lean protiens. "Eating like an s.o.b." isn't gonna provide the nutrition you need to grow if you are talking about fast food that's loaded with saturated fats, snacks full of processed carbs and refined sugar, the empty calories in soft drinks, and the testosterone suppressing effects of converting alcohol into sugar. Your calories need to come from wholesome sources like chicken, tuna, lean red meat, pasta, oatmeal, fruits, and vegetables. Keep your sugar intake limited as well, too much will negatively affect your insulin response, keeping your body from processing the calories as effectivley.

·
Worship me
34,275 Posts
GARS02GSTA said:
OK.
What about Peanut Butter ??.....I heard that was a good source of protein.
unfortunately its also loaded with sugar, which is counterproductive. Like he said, pure, wholesome foods. Almost any kind of processed food is bad. Go to the store and buy some steaks, chicken breasts, fish, sausage, beef jerky, etc... Stay away from a lot of carbs, its ok to eat some but don't load up on them. Its better to eat protein than carbs.

Make sure and get plenty of rest. Workout and eat like a fucking animal!! You should be doing 16 to 20 sets per body part with lots of weight, never more than 10 reps, your last set should take help on that 6th rep.

If you want me to come up there to 24 hour and show you my workout I can.

·
P.I.M.P.
3,857 Posts
From what I understand a diet should be more carbs then protein... Carbs are what you burn and protein is what builds ur muscle, if your going heavy on protein ur just burning away muscle. Could be wrong but this is just what I've learned. If you want more info I can go get my resources...

·
Worship me
34,275 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,877 Posts
AL P said:
You need a few carbs for energy and a few basic functions, but protiens are the building blocks of the human body. Fats and protiens can be burned as energy, but your muscles will shrink and catabolize without sufficient protien in your diet (i.e. high carb diet).

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
AL P said:

Make sure and get plenty of rest. Workout and eat like a fucking animal!! You should be doing 16 to 20 sets per body part with lots of weight, never more than 10 reps, your last set should take help on that 6th rep.

16 to 20 set's of 10!?

Are you saying that if I'm working bench press I should be doing 160 reps?

·
P.I.M.P.
3,857 Posts
According to "Food Programs" by Thomase Incledon, M.S., R.D. and Sports Nutrionist / Researcher Dan Benardot, R.D., Ph.D.,

"A diet should be made up of 15-20% Protein, 20-25% Fat, and the rest carbohydrates. While High-protein diets are the new fad, bc protein is the key nutrient for repairing and growing muscle, but most people are getting too much protein as it is. If you eat more protein then the body requires, it either flushes it out of hte system or uses it as fuel. Eating more doesnt help at all, in fact it hurts your enegery levels. If your looking for fuel for those high intensity workouts, Carbs are you best bet becuae they're much more easily converted to energy by your body then protein is. Also, when your body burns carbs for energy, it doesn't have to burn up as much protein for fuel. "

"As your muscles fire up carbs as fuel, they burn them fast and clean, with no waste to ship off and no leftovers to store away. And since you're feeding htem what they need, your muscles spend less time leaching nutrients from your body. Carbs are the body's primary fuel for exercise because it's directly converted into muscle glycogen. Carbs pump up your energy levles, fuel workouts, and provide the calories needed for muscle building, which burns energy. If you're expending lots of energy, you need to be taking in lots of energy. "

"Carbs break down in the body to form glucose and glycogen, sugars that provide energy. Insulin, a hormone, enables the muscles cells to convert glucose into glycogen and store it until it is needed. Every time you eat, the levels of insulin in your bloodstream increase. The insulin coaxes receptors in your muscle cells to open up and allow glucose to enter. Once in the cells, glucose iss either metabolized quickly to supply energy or converted to glycogen by speical enzymes. "

"Make carbs the central food of each meal and snakc and you'll have more energy, staying power, and intensity in your workouts. EAt carbs throughtout the day to keep your glycogen sotres (energy reserves) at their peak."

"A 175-pound, physically active guy can store about 2,100 calories of glycogen in his body, with the vast majority--aprox 1,600 calories' worth--residing in his muscles. THe remaining glycogen is in his liver and in his bloodstream in the form of glucose. Once those reserverse are used up, the body simply can't mobilize neough fat ot keep going and fatigue sets in."

"You may have heared that carbs make you fat. Atleast that was the hype a couple years ago. While carbs CAN make you fat, so can protein and fat if you eat enough of them. To gain weight, all you hve to do is eat more calories hten you burn. Now if you're the guy who eats a load of spaghetti and pizza and does little more then watch hours of obscure sports like the Canadian National Curling Championships on calbe TV, yes, you're probably going to get fat eating carbs. But if you're an active man, you've got nothing to worry about. Eat small, frequent meals, lift weights three or four times a week, do some aerobics, and you'll burn carbs like crazy--both when you're exercising and on your recovery days when your body is building muscle."

"Most of your carbohydrate intake should be in the form of complex carbs. Complex carbs, with some exceptions, break down more slowly and provide a steady source of energy."

"The body uses protein to repair and grow muscle. Although protein is the key muslce-building nutrient, there is no benefit--and there are several drawbacks--to ingesting too much. You dont want to overload your body wiht protein any more than you'd glob handfuls of mortar into the spaces between bricks in a wal. It's wasteful and messy: The excess protein is either excreted or tucked into unnecessary storage. "

"A Denver Broncos football lineman was downing 45 chicken breasts a day. The lineman was a huge guy, but when he came to Dr. Jackie Berning, R.D., Ph.D., who serves as a consulting sports nutritionist for the Denver Broncos, seeking her advice,he was essentially a 280-pound weakling. He hardly had enough energy to make it through his workouts and weight training sessions. He wasn't getting enough carbs, and his body was absolutely overloaded with protein. It had no choice but to use protein as fuel. "

"You should eat about double the protein the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) calls for, but cool it there. The body diverts excess protein to other pathways. It gets burned as energy, converted into carbs, packed away as fat, or flushed from the body via urine. Since none of these other pathways builds jmuscle, excess protein is really wasted protein. What's actually more important than protein intake is total calorie intake. To build hard muscle, you need to work out hard and consistently. That requires lots of energy, which we all know comes best from carbs, not protein."

"To use protein as a fuel, it has to be converted in to carbs, then to glycogen. Or it can be turned into fat and stored for later use... which is not the goal here. If you're working out intensely day after day and eating a high-protien, low-carb diet, your glycogen stores will gradually diminish, like an aging battery losing its charge. You'll have less energy to life and you'll fatigue faster in your workout. You'll be able to do fewer reps, you'll have to lighten your weight loads, and you'll require more time to recover. Ultimately, you'll grow less muscle. You may actually hurt yourself. Eating too much protein over an extended time may be tough on your kidneys. That's because the kidneys process the waste left by protein metabolism, and too much protein prevents them from getting rid of these wastes properly."

·
P.I.M.P.
3,857 Posts
All I can say is Carbs are what give you energy... Protein builds and repairs muscles... for Protein to give you energy it has to be turned into carbs then into glycogen... all that extra protein that isnt used is either turned into fat :eek: or flushed out of your system... u just pissed $5 down the toilet on that protein shake. Where as carbs are energy and as long as your using energy they are just refilling ur reserves... now if u live a sedentary life style then sure, your oging to get fat, but its the same way if you eat too much of anything and dont do any exercise. You can eat all the protein in the world, its not going to magically give you muscles... the only way to build muscles is to work your ass off in the gym... and that takes energy... maybe my logic is wrong but its just my opinion

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
It isn't wrong it is just weird. You are right, you HAVE to bust your ass at the gym to gain muscle, but the protein rebuilds it while you sleep. From what I understand sugar (carbs) give you a peak of energy, but then you are even more tired afterwards. Also, from several sources I have read that you need at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight for weight gaining. So if he weighs 150, he needs at least 150gs of protein per day.

·
P.I.M.P.
3,857 Posts
I guess any diet could be a good one as long as your putting on more calories then your burning... I only need 145g of protein and I'm 5'11 and 175lbs. There are different types of sugars, ur thinking of the simple sugars, like the ones in cokes that spike then drop off sharply. Complex carbs like those from brown rice, beans, vegetables, etc are the ones that break down slowly and give you a steady stream of energy over a period of time.

·
Registered
752 Posts
i was wondering, i was looking at some of this tuna and chicken my mom bought, its *Chicken in the Sea" packeged kind, it has 250mg of sodium per serving, is this too high, or not too bad? The chicken in in water, and the tuna is in that new air tight package.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.