DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would go with stamped concrete. There are lots of designs and colors to choose (or mix) from, and once its in you can keep it up yourself w/ an annual powerwash and reseal.

The landscape guy didn't lie to you - concrete will almost 100% guaranteed crack - but if it is saw cut, chances are it will crack inside of the cuts and shouldnt be visible. Most stamped patios are at least 6 iches (i'm not 100% on the requirements here) where you're average driveway is only 4. Since its thicker, and you won't be driving 4,000 pound vehicles on your patio, it shouldn't crack in the middle of sections like some driveways do.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If you can pour your patio at the same time as your driveway, you should get a better rate. A ten by ten pad is a half day job and not a whole lot of concrete, so adding it on when they do the driveway would be preferable for most crews. 10x10 at 6 inches is 2 yards of concrete - most companies (at least in CLE) have a 4 yard minimum load charge. If you do decide just to pour a patio, you may get a better price per sqft by going a little larger.

If you pour it with your driveway, they may be able to fit enough for the patio on the same truck - otherwise they will need a small balance load. If there is enough left over from the balance of driveway truck(s), they could add color to the mix at the end of the load.

IMO staining is only for borders and accent designs - I don't believe that non-colored concrete w/ a stain would look as good as colored concrete. Your primary color should be mixed directly in the concrete w/ accent release color(s) dusted on top while stamping.

For example, the light brown in this picture would be the result of the mix in the truck and the colored release powder(s), and the dark brown would be because of the same mix, release, and adding a stain.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If you want to keep the patio small, I would recommend doing it with your driveway, or trying to find a place for another 2 yards - do you have a front or side service walk on your house? We did several jobs that did these two areas at the same time as a patio and they kept a normal uncolored driveway. Whatever you decide, I definitely think decorative concrete is way better than real stone or any other patio options...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.