DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just got this car and im trying to get it to start. it was out of tim i put it back in time but, it wont start i found out its not getting any spark. i replaced the coil, points, condenser, andstil wont get any spark. can any body tell me what rong or wht i need to do? any hlp would be apperciated. thanks in advance. btw its a 289

·
Behind Blue Eyes..
6,729 Posts
cap and rotar...plugs...just to start...

also spell check would help to because i barely was able to understand the whiteboy language and typing skills:D

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
yea i saw that but i dont think theres a edit button around here. the cap n rotor are new as well, spark plugs and wires too. its getting 12 volts from the ignition to the coil, but it sill wont get a spark.. the only thing i could think maybe would be the selenoid (sp?) starter.

·
Behind Blue Eyes..
6,729 Posts
yeap solenoid will do it..many of times to my on my 66 mustang and 1 time on my 89GT

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
thanks man, see i didnt replace the solenoid because i didnt think it had nething to do with the car getting spark. but since its the last thing i havent replaced i guess its that. thanks again.

·
Blessed
7,507 Posts
The new cap could be cracked. I couldn't tell you how many new caps I have bought that were bad. Also, check the wires and make sure they are in the correct firing order. If you had the distributer out you could have put it back in 180 degrees out.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
well i know the firing order is right i went to autozone, and they printed me up the correct firing order. and i pretty sure the timing is right. u get the number 1 piston up then stab the dist. and point it to the number one piston, correct? if i did it wrong please tell me, im new to the whole hotrod thing its my first one so im still learning.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Actually the number 1 should be at about 11 o'clock when looking down on the top of the distributor cap. Some caps are marked with a 1. So go and fix that. Next you may have the distributor 180 out( the spark plug firing on the exhaust stroke). Pull the #1 plug( put your finger over the hole) have someone bump the starter over till you feel the compression come out of the hole. That is #1 TDC on the compression stroke. Phase the dist. to the spot I said before and it should start. You may still have to move the bistributor side to side while cranking it to get the actual timing where you need it before it will start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts