DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my neighbor has an 87-93 gt(not sure the exact year) but he just put a new motor in last week, he has new motor mounts, and when the car is idling the steering wheel shakes, and the whole front end of the car shakes...any idea what is causing this and what can he do to fix it.
thanks
steven

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yeah i forgot to mention that it did it before he replaced the motor, because he thought that it was shaking because it was only running on 7 cylinders. i guess thats kind of important.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks. If you have one, it could cause some heavy vibration. Especially at idle.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Another vote for the rotating assembly being out of balance. Most likely cause is the HB if nothing was changed right before the old motor started shaking.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Could be the harmonic damper (balancer,) or it could be the flywheel, or a combination fo the two. 302's have two balance specs -- 28oz and 50oz. 5.0L engines use the 50oz spec while earlier 302's use the 28oz spec. Both the flywheel and the harmonic damper have to have the right spec for the motor. If not, it'll shake horribly.

·
Premium Member
16,774 Posts
could be a bad wire, cap, rotor, coil, or tfi. If it is missing, it could cause a problem like that.

·
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE
4,427 Posts
depends on the motor he bought

some 302's have 28 oz balance, others have 50 oz, his old motor was likely 50 oz if it was stock. Thats a big IF these days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts