DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have a good experience with getting your brakes done? The dealership of course want to charge way too much and I dont know how shady or good Pepboys/JustBrakes are.. anyone here know of a place or an estimate on getting new pads?

Ive hit 56,000 miles in my 98 stang and my pads need to be replaced.. all the other stuff that goes with them are fine.. i personally wanted to go ugprade to 13" baer system but thats money i dont have :/ so anyways hit me up email or back here. Thanks

email: [email protected]
aim: BotZog1

--Jon

·
Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,105 Posts
Do it yourself? Anyone, scratch that, most people could do it. Don't be intimidated. I changed my pads to Hawk when I have 7K on my 2001 Cobra.

·
OLD SCHOOL crew
11,186 Posts
Don't get auto zone pads unless you want lots of brake dust and to replace them quickly (even if it is free)

I like hawk or ebc pads. Do it yourself, thats what Mustangers are, do it yourself types. Don't go out like a ricer LOL.

The longest part of doing the job is getting the car in the air and the wheels off...

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
HobieF3 said:
Don't get auto zone pads unless you want lots of brake dust and to replace them quickly (even if it is free)

I like hawk or ebc pads. Do it yourself, thats what Mustangers are, do it yourself types. Don't go out like a ricer LOL.

The longest part of doing the job is getting the car in the air and the wheels off...
I have had that problem with the auto zone pads. Who wants to change out the pads every 6 months? :rolleyes:

Where did you get your ebc pads?

·
Registered
797 Posts
A long (LONG) time ago, I took my vehicle to JustBrakes for the $99 friction re-line special. Of course, they found another $300 worth of things that 'needed' to be replaced. Total Bullsh*t. If I hadn't done them myself before, I wouldn't have known better. THAT is the reason to do it yourself at least once, IMHO.

Changing brake pads is sort of like changing your oil. It's easy to do, but since you can get it done for so little, it makes sense to have someone else do it if you're busy. But if you don't know anything, you'll end up paying for all kinds of crap that you don't need. In a way, the oil change is subsidized by all the people who don't know better.

·
Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,105 Posts
chris said:
wha they said. Its easy. But, you'll need a special tool from the auto parts store to do the rear discs. If you decide to do it yourself, me or someone else can explain how to do the rears.

-Chris
What is the special tool? I didn't get one.

·
Premium Member
12,152 Posts
TexasDevilDog said:
What is the special tool? I didn't get one.
The tool that goes on the end of your ratchet to assist you in screwing the rear pistons back in. You can use some needle nose or something but its a pain in the azz. If your pads are worn badly you have to screw the rear pistons back in for the new pads to fit. If your pads were fairly new then you probably dont have to worry about it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, so hawk or ebc pads then? (yes there are rear pads)

nothing special? is it a 1 size fits all type thing.. ;p sorry im a noob when it comes to brakes.. but im all about doing it myself.. jobless college student i am.. its the only way to go.

so basically.. jack up the back, pop off 1? or both at the same time.... unbolt.. take something off.. put it back on.. bolt.. put tires back on..is that about right?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks, forgot about that site...

after browsing the web real quick.. seems like Hawk are quite popular for "racing" and such..so they would be overkill for my car really..but hey shes got some wild left in her.. so im all for it.. im seeing all these different raiting? HP Plus? and such.. what really are the better ones for? i have 17 inch cobra r's.. so is there any spefific to weight or wheel size?

·
Still Slow
2,347 Posts
i did a 99+ brake conv on my 94 v6 with powerslot rotors and hawk hps+ pads and loved them, was the best braking car i ever owned and had pretty much no fade, if you are looking at upgrading your brakes i would reccomend it because the 99+ calipers are cheap and they are a direct bolt on.

·
Registered
752 Posts
fox body?

I need to replace my brakes soon too, I want to learn how to do it myself, so is it the same for my 89 coupe and how its explained on MW?? Any help will be appreciated, I dont want to spend $100 on somthing I can do at home.

·
Registered
757 Posts
i will be more than happy to change your pads if you wish. i am a former ford dealership technician. i will be happy to walk you through it as well if you want to do it yourself. you do need some specials tools though. for example, you need the tool to turn the rear pistons back in. i am very very reasonable if you want me to change them. pm me and we can discuss if you like,. this is not an attempt to get myself business. but i will do them if your not comfortable.

stroker95(david)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.