DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Custom Title
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a new project by the wife. The fireplace has a ledge about 2 feet high along the bottom front of it, the part you can sit on and stay warm by the fire. Well she wants it removed so the bricks are just flat, like a wall, no ledge sticking out. How the hell can I remove those bricks without F'ing the whole wall? Any suggestions on the best way too do this?:confused:

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,373 Posts
yellowstang said:
NEbody work with bricks?
This windows box runs pretty sluggish sometimes :p

·
Custom Title
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: NEbody work with bricks?

AbecX said:
This windows box runs pretty sluggish sometimes :p
LMAO! I shoulda known better than to use that for a subject!

·
None
12,675 Posts
Go to Home Depot and check out their masonry department. You'll pretty much need one of everything. :) j/k

It's a bitch and a half to work with existing masonry. Since you have a ledge, I'm assuming that there are bricks jutting into the wall. You can dismantle the majority of the ledge with a masonry hammer and chisel, but when you get to the bricks closer to the wall you need to be EXTREMELY careful.

There's no feeling of frustration like breaking a brick off inside the wall.

Get yourself a reciprocating saw with an assload of masonry specific blades. Go slow and careful. Tip: Mist water onto the bricks as you cut. Cuts down the dust that you throw out and keeps things cooler.

Don't worry if you do break off a brick inside, you can usually replace the brick if the ones around it are in good condition.

·
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
14,997 Posts
Man, I thought this thread would be about Buicks ;)

·
Custom Title
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris98GT said:
Go to Home Depot and check out their masonry department. You'll pretty much need one of everything. :) j/k

It's a bitch and a half to work with existing masonry. Since you have a ledge, I'm assuming that there are bricks jutting into the wall. You can dismantle the majority of the ledge with a masonry hammer and chisel, but when you get to the bricks closer to the wall you need to be EXTREMELY careful.

There's no feeling of frustration like breaking a brick off inside the wall.

Get yourself a reciprocating saw with an assload of masonry specific blades. Go slow and careful. Tip: Mist water onto the bricks as you cut. Cuts down the dust that you throw out and keeps things cooler.

Don't worry if you do break off a brick inside, you can usually replace the brick if the ones around it are in good condition.
Cool, Thanks for the input. I'm not real worried about how the wall part looks afterwards, it will be getting covered up with marble tiles, sort of glued up to them. It's like a totally different fireplace when it's finished, just getting that damn ledge part out is gonna be a pain! As long as I don't cave it in or anything, if 1 or 2 get messed up it shouldn't be a big deal, the marble tiles are 12x12 so I have a little room for error.

·
None
12,675 Posts
If anything, just remember to go one brick at a time. It'll be MUCH easier, MUCH cleaner and you'll have a better base to lay your tiles on.

·
Custom Title
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris98GT said:
If anything, just remember to go one brick at a time. It'll be MUCH easier, MUCH cleaner and you'll have a better base to lay your tiles on.
Ya, but not as fun as the smash the crap outa' it with a sledge hammer!:D I think I may know what I'll be doing over the long weekend???
Thanks again for the replies everyone!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
You can crack open the heads of a couple people on this board to get bricks. You should find plenty. :D

·
Custom Title
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lethal said:
You can crack open the heads of a couple people on this board to get bricks. You should find plenty. :D
LMAO, but I already have too many:p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts