DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Option # 1

A built long block is going to be $4,100 with aluminum pi heads, head gaskets, head bolts, forged everything, steel crank, new block the works. Options that are very highly recommended are ARP head studs ($180 much stronger and reusable), new oil pump $90, new oil pump pickup $45, billet oil pump gears $379, long tube headers $475 (BBK Ceramic coated), regrind cams $475. I am just making you aware of all the options.

Option # 2

Buy the 2002 GT Motor with 4k miles. $1,000. Buy upper and lower intake $?? Need Throttle Body, MAF, Injectors, and Fuel rails. Also need long tube headers. Flywheel comes with it, if mine won’t work.

Option # 3

Use my motor and put forged pistons in, new crank, alluminum 99+ pi heads package, regrind the cams, upgrade the injectors, throttle body, maf, and be done with it? (whatelse would i need to rebuild this motor?)

With option #3 would i be in the low 13's n/a? hp/torque?
With option #2 would i be in the low 13's n/a? hp/torque?
With option #1 what would i run? hp/torque?

·
The Janitor
15,927 Posts
do it right the first time. Do it RIGHT. You will be very happy , and it eventually will be easier on your wallet when this motor can take a lot more abuse. With forged internals and billet oil pump gears, you wont have ANY of the problems you would have had before.

·
Along for the ride
6,569 Posts
like i told you, i personally wouldn't waste the money rebuilding your motor. i wasted money the first time doin this. the cheapest option is buying that used 99+ motor. if it doesn't have an intake you can get one used or new from ford for about $150-$180. you can use your injectors, mass air, fuel rails, and TB from your car. i believe you can also reuse your flywheel if its an 02 motor. this would be a good option for cheap assuming the motor is in perfect working order.

option number one is obviously what i did. it cost me $3300 for the shortblock from HP. this is a new 99+windsor block, cobra crank, eagle rods, .020 JE pistons. i then got high volume oil pump ($40), arp headstuds ($130), and AL flywheel ($260), and spent another misc $600 for gaskets, new water pump, timing chains, etc. so my total was about $5k.

option number three should be to buy a used 01 cobra motor. there was a guy with two for sale in the forum that wanted $2250 for each one. this is an easy swap, you can use your computer and wiring harness. you might look into this. these are the only options i would consider. JMO. good luck and keep me posted.

marcus

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
If I were you, I would go with option #1. That way you'll be ready for boost or n2o and will be making good power n/a. I wouldn't buy a used engine unless I could hear it run first. Option # 3, you are wasting your time and money on that. Manny can answer all your questions.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
i vote for option #4, 4v :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.