DFW Mustang Forums banner

Midland deputy fired after rifle incident

995 views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  Sgt Beavis 
#1 ·
Picture of Round Rock waitress with weapon also leads to discipline for four others.

By Isadora Vail
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Thursday, August 20, 2009
A Midland County sheriff's deputy was fired after police say he and four other deputies asked a waitress to take a picture with one of their service rifles while they were visiting a restaurant in Round Rock last week, Midland Sheriff Gary Painter said.

Deputy Daniel Subia was fired, Deputy Art Nunez received a letter of reprimand, and three others — Deputies Miguel Ramos, Chris Evans and Ron Wright — received three days of suspension without pay, Painter said.

The deputies will not face criminal charges, according to Melissa Hightower, an investigator with the Williamson County attorney's office.

On Aug. 10, Round Rock police were called to the Twin Peaks restaurant — where waitresses typically wear halter tops and short shorts — at 100 E. Louis Henna Blvd. after an off-duty Manor police officer reported seeing a waitress holding what appeared to be a rifle in the parking lot, according to a police report. The deputies were taking photos as she held it, the report said.

The report says the waitress told police that the deputies asked her to come outside and pose with the weapon, according to the report.

The off-duty officer called Round Rock police.

The deputies were in Round Rock for training, Painter said.

Eric Poteet, a spokesman for Round Rock police, said they did not charge the deputies because no crime was committed. Dee Hobbs, chief of the criminal division of the Williamson County attorney's office, had said the officers could face charges of disorderly conduct, a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in jail.

Painter said it would have been a "knee-jerk reaction" to fire all of the deputies involved. Instead, he interviewed each deputy separately and doled out reprimands based on the deputies' participation in the incident. Subia, who was fired, was "the one who handed the weapon to the lady," Painter said.

See less See more
#6 ·
[
Eric Poteet, a spokesman for Round Rock police, said they did not charge the deputies because no crime was committed. Dee Hobbs, chief of the criminal division of the Williamson County attorney's office, had said the officers could face charges of disorderly conduct, a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in jail.
WTF?

I'm not getting this...

#12 ·
How freaking stupid of them to do it. I am betting they were trying to impress her and they went about it all wrong.

Hell, I went to a batchelor party that started out at Hooters and had the very hot waitress ask me for my phone number as we were leaving. I even have a witness who heard her ask. These "Hooters" type girls are obviously not that hard to impress!

#29 ·
One side of me thinks it is dumb and an over reaction. However, polices/rules are what they are and I do not get any slack when pulled over. So my bitter FTP side laughs a little.

As mentioned, since it does appear to be loaded - that makes it what it is.

#31 ·
He got fired for trying to get laid on the job.

#32 ·
Classic case of exercising poor judgment.

We hold LEO to a higher standard and the ones involved allowed themselves to be compromised. Everyone LEO and Civ do stupid shit some of which is illegal but allowing yourself to get caught is what burns you.

What is the saying "no harm no foul"? The Harm was they displayed poor judgment in a public environment and got caught doing so, hell they even have photographic proof.

#40 ·
This is exactly why. LEO's are held to higher standards. This was very poor judgement on the officers part and his superiors felt that because of this he may make other bad judgements in the field. These bad judgements could put lives in danger. I'm not an officer and even I know that was not the smart thing to do. These guys are officers of the law not 18yr horny kids.

#34 ·
Not suprised at all since the the Austin area is overrun by the fucking lefties. I am a bit shocked that anyone would be suprised by the "disorderly conduct" thing since it is a catch all for doing anything the police don't like.

I think anything beyond a verbal reprimand is bullshit for this incident. It would be different if they were on their home turf.

On a side note, I love Twin Peaks! That place is awesome, its like Hooters with better food. My wife and I took our boy there on Sunday for lunch and watched some of the bikini car wash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.