DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Old School
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the grand scheme of SBF blocks, where does it rank? I figure its not as good as the A4, R, or Dart blocks, but is it better than the new sportsman blocks? Does it have more meat in the lifter valley than a late model block. HP rating?
My brother is looking at getting this car and it has a NA 347 with a killer rotating assembly. (Sonny Bryant Billit crank, Billit rods, etc...zero balanced) but its in a 68' Mexican Block.

· Registered
929 Posts
According to an article on 302 blocks in MM&FF about a year ago, it ranks somewhere between a stock block and a sportsman. The Mexican blocks are beefier than stock, but have the stock iron formulation. The sportsman blocks are beefier than stock and are made from a higher grade iron.

· American Idol
2,867 Posts
TRAXX said:
In the grand scheme of SBF blocks, where does it rank? I figure its not as good as the A4, R, or Dart blocks, but is it better than the new sportsman blocks? Does it have more meat in the lifter valley than a late model block. HP rating?
My brother is looking at getting this car and it has a NA 347 with a killer rotating assembly. (Sonny Bryant Billit crank, Billit rods, etc...zero balanced) but its in a 68' Mexican Block.
Man, if only those goodies were in a Dart block!

· Premium Member
722 Posts
What's up Trevor....It's Chris Ivey...

What's your brother doing playing w/cars again...:) Saw what you were doing and had to have a piece ??
If he is getting a good deal on the car than get it and just invest in getting a good block for it if he plans on longevity. I think the sportsman and mexican blocks are similar..HP rating for the sportsman is est [email protected] per FMS, but there are always people out there pushing more than that.

BTW...I wanna ride in your TT stang :)
How's it doing since FFW this yr?

· Old School
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris,
Hows it going? PM sent.

That is kinda what I was thinking (as far as block strength). With the motor the way it is, it went 10.7s at 129 NA. The guy says it dynoed 450 to the wheels. I figure it would be a good start for something to just get used to the power since he hasnt had a seriously fast stang before. He could probably add a little nitrous to that too. Then if/when he really wants to get REAL serious. He could move all those good internals into a Dart block, change the pistons for lower compression (currently at 10:1) and slap a turbo and a glide behind it (currently has a Tremec TKO).

· Krylon
873 Posts
My experiences witha mexican block....

1.)After months of waiting Pete Kotzur calls me and is excited to have found a std. bore Mex. 302 block.

I really didn't wanna go back with another stock roller motor.
Drawback #1- Not machined for roller lifters.
Drawback #2- Not legal for renegade classes unless you drill and tap the valley. I bought the $500 crane conversion lifters.
Drawback #3- No dipstick provision in the block. Thats right-Either a 300$ pan or soemthin really ugly.

In general I'm not big on custom pieces-primarily because when you break something you gotta start all over....

If I could do it all over again I'd trow together a low compression 408. Don't haveta worry about strength in a lot of areas. I know this 306 I have now will go mid-low 9s no problem. But if I keep up at this pace I'll be wanting 8s by this time next year...

BTW, How are the twins?

-Sean

· Darkside
20,179 Posts
The mexican block is way over rated due to misconception. The webbing is a little thicker. But nothing that significant. They got to be the rave when people were spreading the rumor that they had more nickel content. Which was not true. It rates no where near the A4 or sportsman blocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.