DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The first, the original
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It gets to be sometimes working at Vatozone more and more that english is a second language. Not that its a surprise. So I've been trying to learn what some auto parts are called in spanish. I sure get some funny looks from people trying to figure out how some 6'4" ****** learned his spanish. I have a LOT to learn.

A guy came in with a battery. I tested it and it was bad. I said:
"Yo tengo battery malo"...I get a blank stare.
"No bueno" "No vida" ....aw, he understood me now.

I ask spanish speaking friends things and they try to teach me. I've also been doing a self study program on my computer. I thought I was pronouncing things ok but evidently not.

I ordered some tacos from a very authentic place the other day. I asked if they had any chicharon (sp?)? "pork skin" tacos? I was saying chee-cha-rone. I got the deer-in-the-headlight look again. Guess I flubbed that one.

I asked for some orchata at a place where I knew they sold it. I was saying or-sha-ta. I guess I just wasn't getting it right.

Can't blame me for trying, right?

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
I was out at the house being built yesterday and was talking to the electricians. We understood about 1/2 of what each other was saying. When I was walking through, I'd hear them talking to each other. Perfect spanish, until they got to a term for a room.

It sounded like:

"blah, blah, blah, Master Closet. blah, blah, blah, kitchen. blah, blah, blah, bathroom. blah, blah, blah, media room."

G

·
What you are doing is better than speaking English louder to get your point across. :)

Spanish is harder than a lot of people think. Especially when you get into writing and making sure that all of your verb tenses are correct. Sometimes it seems like the vocabulary is endless... even to someone who has been around it forever. The best way to learn is constant practice.

Keep it up and you will be an honorary Vato in no time :)

·
The Alpha Omega Frog
8,333 Posts
I look at you funny and I'm not Mexican. :p

I don't blame you for trying. I think I sound silly when I try so Im sure I sound like a nut to those fluent speakers. :)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
My wife works at a Mexican restruant and she says its like this.
The Spanish you learn is like proper English no one really speaks
it there are so many slangs. I do however know any cuss word
in Spanish.

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
I understand just enough Spanish still (its been 25 years since I lived in Spain) to make sure they aren't talking about me.

I love in the movies when the have the Spanish speaking person and some American. The American is asking the spanish speaking person questions and the spanish speaking people are smiling and talking and the subtitles are saying, "Sure you stupid ******, why don't you lick my ass now." And the stoopid American is just nodding and saying, "Good, I'm glad we understand each other."

·
Texas Rangers #1
10,592 Posts
Frank said:
I sure get some funny looks from people trying to figure out how some 6'4" ****** learned his spanish.
LOL. I get this all the time. I'm 6'1" light brown hair, light skinned, and green eyes. Both of my parents are Cuban so I learned to speak spanish before english. Mexicans always trip out when I start speaking spanish to them, or understand what they're saying. But it's all good, sometimes you hear some pretty interesting stuff when people don't know you understand what they're saying! :D

·
Registered
774 Posts
Or, instead of learning Spanish to talk to them you could just speak English and maybe they will learn the language of the country they are in. I know it is a radical concept...speaking the language and all but hey you never know it might just catch on !

Frank said:
It gets to be sometimes working at Vatozone more and more that english is a second language. Not that its a surprise. So I've been trying to learn what some auto parts are called in spanish. I sure get some funny looks from people trying to figure out how some 6'4" ****** learned his spanish. I have a LOT to learn.

A guy came in with a battery. I tested it and it was bad. I said:
"Yo tengo battery malo"...I get a blank stare.
"No bueno" "No vida" ....aw, he understood me now.

I ask spanish speaking friends things and they try to teach me. I've also been doing a self study program on my computer. I thought I was pronouncing things ok but evidently not.

I ordered some tacos from a very authentic place the other day. I asked if they had any chicharon (sp?)? "pork skin" tacos? I was saying chee-cha-rone. I got the deer-in-the-headlight look again. Guess I flubbed that one.

I asked for some orchata at a place where I knew they sold it. I was saying or-sha-ta. I guess I just wasn't getting it right.

Can't blame me for trying, right?

G

·
you think you get looked at funny, try being mexican and talking worse then the gringos do...its much worse trust me...

·
The first, the original
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Meskins look at me funny

EquusCriollo said:
Or, instead of learning Spanish to talk to them you could just speak English and maybe they will learn the language of the country they are in. I know it is a radical concept...speaking the language and all but hey you never know it might just catch on !
:confused: aren't YOU mexican?

I know that's the way it ought to be, but I'm willing to meet some people halfway. Its not like if you go to some countires people will try to learn english just to accomodate me. I would not expect them to. Its not like they invited me into their country. I'm a guest. Besides, You can't learn english overnight.

I've had some people get pissed at me and tell me I need to learn spanish. BS! I do it because I want to. If they act like a jerk to me, I'm not going to try to communicate with them.

·
Mach 1 | 32 V
5,469 Posts
Frank said:

its horchata kinda pronounced like ore-cha-tah , and I LOVE THAT STUFF!!! where do they sell it??

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts

EquusCriollo said:
Totally agree. I do not know spanish, nor do I wish to learn. Speak English people!! :D

·
Banned
30,955 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Meskins look at me funny

Frank said:
[BI've had some people get pissed at me and tell me I need to learn spanish. BS! I do it because I want to. If they act like a jerk to me, I'm not going to try to communicate with them. [/B]

yeah, I've gotten that a few times at OReillys. When they do that I just start speaking to them in Arabic. You wanna see some funny looks, try a 6'3 brown haired punk ass like me speaking arabic to someone that is pissed off I dont speak Spanish.

·
Rolling with the homies
43,268 Posts

Kenny_Stang said:
LOL. I get this all the time. I'm 6'1" light brown hair, light skinned, and green eyes. Both of my parents are Cuban so I learned to speak spanish before english. Mexicans always trip out when I start speaking spanish to them, or understand what they're saying. But it's all good, sometimes you hear some pretty interesting stuff when people don't know you understand what they're saying! :D
You speak Spanish :eek:

·
Resident Pinstriper
5,190 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Meskins look at me funny

talisman said:
yeah, I've gotten that a few times at OReillys. When they do that I just start speaking to them in Arabic. You wanna see some funny looks, try a 6'3 brown haired punk ass like me speaking arabic to someone that is pissed off I dont speak Spanish.
LMFAO !!!! I work at Foot Locker on Webb Chapel Rd south of 635, and like 90% of the people that come in there are Hispanics, so I have been trying to catch some stuff. I have had some people think I know alot more than I do, and I just look at them funny and they start laughing. But I have also had some people think I don't know any at all, and when I talk to them they act like it is weird that I know any Spanish at all !! We have a kid that works there that is fluent, so when they start talking shit about me he tells me and I just don't help them. But it frustrates the shit out of me when THEY get mad at ME for not knowing Spanish. Fuck, the last time I checked ENGLISH was the language spoken over here, in AMERICA.

-Aaron

·
Registered
774 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Meskins look at me funny

Hey ! How did you know I am a Messycan ?
My father was born and raised in Mexico City, my grandmother still lives there along with alot of my other relatives. I dont speak spanish. My parents decided I was living in the USA then I should speak English. When I lived in Israel I learned Hebrew.

I have no problem with being bilingual, I encourage it ( even if I don't practice it.....:rolleyes: ) I just have a problem with all the multicultural bullshit that goes on. Everybody going out of their way to be ultra pc and make it so that there is no reason to learn the english language because the government and every bleeding heart fruitcake doesn't want TO ACCIDENTLY OFFEND SOME SCHMUCKS TENDER SENSIBILITIES !.......*um*....sorry about that. You get the point :D

Frank said:
:confused: aren't YOU mexican?

I know that's the way it ought to be, but I'm willing to meet some people halfway. Its not like if you go to some countires people will try to learn english just to accomodate me. I would not expect them to. Its not like they invited me into their country. I'm a guest. Besides, You can't learn english overnight.

I've had some people get pissed at me and tell me I need to learn spanish. BS! I do it because I want to. If they act like a jerk to me, I'm not going to try to communicate with them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts