DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Keep your unicorns
12,421 Posts
Quarts have a larger following but I've personally never used Dynaudio. I have used Diamond Audio though and they sound nice:)

·
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
10,712 Posts
Focals... I have heard everything on the market, and the Focals and CD Techs are the best sounding speakers...

It is your ear though, which one do you like?

<<< ----- thinks Quarts sound like trash.

·
Registered
378 Posts
dynas have the best midbass kick of all, but if you listen to alot of rock, like heavier metal, high pitch guitar stuff, stick with a metal tweeter rather than a silk like the dynas

·
Man, fuck yo kids!
2,921 Posts
mb quart ... if not JL audio...

·
Registered
763 Posts
go with some focals if you can, just my opinion. Im using the focal utopias the three way 165w3's up front and also decided to try out the 5ws subs, there 5" subs and hit harder than most guys 10's or 12's if setup right. I have 4 of the 5" subs in my stang and they take a .8 cubic foot enclosure with 2" x 8" pvc port each sub.. I can let you hear this setup if you like and let you judge it for yourself but as of right now, I am a focal nut for sure now, Didnt believe it till I tried them and now I dont think anything compares.. :eek:

·
Yes I'm...
3,630 Posts
STROKD said:
Focals... I have heard everything on the market, and the Focals and CD Techs are the best sounding speakers...

It is your ear though, which one do you like?

<<< ----- thinks Quarts sound like trash.
AMEN. I replaced Polk audio 6.5" in my doors (in the SS) with Focal 165K PolyKevlar components, and let me tell you, it was unbelievable. It's like the difference in performance from a Kia to a dragster. Unbelievable. I blew the main fuse near the battery before I could make them distort in the slightest. I already bought a set of Focals for the rear (so I'll have all 4 corners) for my next vehicle, which I don't own yet :D I can't say enough about Focal.

I also think Quarts are over-rated.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I never said that the 5" driver moves more air than a 10" or 12", I just said that when set up in the right amount of air space that it would make alot of other guys setups look sad, especially working with multiple 5's. listen to mine and you will not believe this, I would put my 4 5" subs against a setup of 10's or 12's anyday, may not move as much air but you will go blurry and they still hurt your ears and the sound quality is unbeatable.. I have this setup in my s-10 right now because the mustang is getting the new powerplant, but your more than welcome to hear them anytime, also Im going to take it and get it db'd maybe this weekend so I will let you know what it does with just 65 watts. I had 4 of the hcca 12's in my s-10 at one time running 1200 watts a piece with them all down firing and I couldnt stand just tuning the setup, it messed me up for days, I will try and post a pic, but this setup of 5's is way more impressive because people laugh when they look back and see them and then when they hear them they cant believe it and start thinking I am lying and checking the trunk to make sure there were no other subs hittin.. whens the next get together :D

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was pretty impressed with the 6w0's we did in a Porshe. Sounded really good and drum hit was incredible. Low end=lacking. Only down side. What size sealed enclosure for the 5" does Focal recommend? I want to raise my sound stage. I was going to do 8" woofers in the doors but now am thinking about 6w0's or focal 5" in custom kicks for my 99' cherokee.

·
Procrastination Racing
9,224 Posts
The JL Audio ported 3-6W0 enclosure sounds about like 2-10W0 but you really had to hammer on it. I liked it more for the goofy factor than for the actual performance. It is funny seeing people's faces when you show them what was just playing.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Focal actually does not reccomend any sealed enclosure for the 5ws. It is a true sub and was meant for a ported enclosure. I know they have two sizes you can use but I went for the larger enclosure they reccomended, which was .8 cubic feet each with a 2" x 8" long port. :eek: I have never heard them in a small amount of space as a kick panel or even a sealed enclosure so I wouldnt know how it is going to sound for you. Hope this helps..

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think I would use the polykevlar power model with the 5 liter enclosure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts