DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know off-hand the price of a maaco paint job? Can't seem to find it online.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not too sure. Just trying to find a cheap place to get a car painted and if it is only 200 bucks, it might just be the place.

·
Dirty Mexican
1,110 Posts
cheap price cheap work

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
JimD said:
Maaco=junk.
If you are keeping the car they are.

My dad had a '79 Bonneville he pimped until 1994. He went to trade it in and they wanted to give him $500.

He figured it was worth more to him in the driveway, so he kept it. Took it to Maaco and spent $250 painting it. Pimped it for another 2 months.

Went back to the same dealership, they offered him $2,000 on trade in. :eek:

·
Big "foot"
19,217 Posts
OK, so if Maaco sucks, who is better for that good a price?

For my situation, I'm doing all the body work and prep, and just need someone to spray it. Who could spray a car, and do a good job for under $500?

2,843 Posts
You get what you pay for there. Still its not bad to get a thin refresher coat.

Make sure you do the sanding and remove the lights/mirrors etc yourself cause they do a piss poor tape job.

Also they lure you in at $199 but add on depending on what kind of car you have and if you want specific color match. Kinda of a bait and switch thing.

Get a quote and wait a few days. They usually call you and offer a free clear coat. Just make sure they give you the clear coat....which they tried to hose me by pleading ignorance.

Maaco is very much like Just Brakes.

·
Premium Member
14,152 Posts
Main cause of orange peel is gun technique and flash times. You can get that in the highest quality paint. It can be corrected if the mil thickness of the topcoat is sufficient to cut/buff. I would be more concerned about the whole paint layer peeling off, due to the piss poor prep and shitty quality material/lack of catalyst.
Highest $$'s part of quality paint job is the prep. High quality paint sprayed on crappy prep is just that...looks like shit. Running a scotch brite pad over it just before spraying isn't gonna cut it, paint requires a "tooth" to stick too. Most of the Urethanes today require a 4-600 grit final sanding for max adhesion.
Material quality does make a difference, not so much in initial appearence but durability and fixability. Hell ive seen some Single stage Limco Synthetic enamel look pretty good. The clearcoat i use (Diamont DC-92) costs more than the $199 special at the El-cheapo places.

·
Big "foot"
19,217 Posts
JimD said:
...Highest $$'s part of quality paint job is the prep... Hell ive seen some Single stage Limco Synthetic enamel look pretty good....
See, thats what I'm counting on. I'm taking my time, doing a good job, and I have a buddy with more body work experience than I do to help with some of the more challenging stuff.

·
Horsepower Extractor
4,738 Posts
BLAKE said:
See, thats what I'm counting on. I'm taking my time, doing a good job, and I have a buddy with more body work experience than I do to help with some of the more challenging stuff.
I say buy your own good quality paint and bring it to them and let them paint it. The Maaco over here in Arlington stays busy and if they are painting a lot of cars....someones gotta be getting good at it! I just don't know about the quality of the paint they are using.

·
Premium Member
14,152 Posts
BLAKE said:
You will save lots of bucks and have a nicer end result. You strippin it to metal, or just topcoating previous layer?

·
Horsepower Extractor
4,738 Posts
You could always give it the Oreillys paint job.....

:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts