DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Cummins > Powerstroke
18,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my parents are looking for a generator for the house. They want one of the big ones that will power the entire house and switch on automatically at the circuit breaker when power is stopped. They have had it with the power loss at the house. Last time there was the huge storm, they lost power for 5 days...this time isnt looking much better.

Any suggestions on where to look or brands? Anyone have a hookup?

I know HD/Lowes carries some...but thats about it

·
Cummins > Powerstroke
18,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
UNFUCKWITHABLE
12,495 Posts
discount? Im really gonna try and convince them...My dad is a big Cummins fan.

edit/// I thought it was a diesel :(
I'll talk to one of our power-gen sales guys tomorrow. Most of the residential is propane/NG because of the availability... but we do make diesels also (mostly larger, and marine).

I'll let you know.

·
Cummins > Powerstroke
18,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow...the cummins ones are EXPENSIVE. I did some reading and 15kw-20kw is about the average size. Costco sells the Cummins 30kw for $16,000

·
UNFUCKWITHABLE
12,495 Posts
wow...the cummins ones are EXPENSIVE. I did some reading and 15kw-20kw is about the average size. Costco sells the Cummins 30kw for $16,000
LOL! Shit, I had no idea. I spend my time putting our stuff into the oil and gas world and don't do any power gen work.

I'll still ask tomorrow and see what they're going for... mostly b/c i'm curious now.

·
Cummins > Powerstroke
18,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL! Shit, I had no idea. I spend my time putting our stuff into the oil and gas world and don't do any power gen work.

I'll still ask tomorrow and see what they're going for... mostly b/c i'm curious now.
I appreciate it...found some place Continental Generators that sells the Cummins Onan...the 20kw was $11,000 the 30kw was $12,500...so there is obviously a big margin for profit in there.. Id hope Cummins directly could do a better price.

·
Arbeit Macht Frei
19,918 Posts
Yeah, fuck these power outages lately...
Our house was only out for a few hours this morning, my parents house is still without power from yesterday morning...

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I'm interested in this also. I was looking into getting a full house one..but the price is making me say "fuck that!"

They make switch over breaker boxes that when you lose power, you can hook up a portable generator(get a tri-fuel that does propane/Natural Gas/Dino fuel) to your house and it will only supply electricity to certain circuits. That way you can just have the kitchen, living room, bed room, and bath room with power. For an A/C get one of those portable units on wheels. Just move it to the room you are in. It will get you buy when you need it. Most electricy outages only last a day or two...

·
Cummins > Powerstroke
18,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm interested in this also. I was looking into getting a full house one..but the price is making me say "fuck that!"

They make switch over breaker boxes that when you lose power, you can hook up a portable generator(get a tri-fuel that does propane/Natural Gas/Dino fuel) to your house and it will only supply electricity to certain circuits. That way you can just have the kitchen, living room, bed room, and bath room with power. For an A/C get one of those portable units on wheels. Just move it to the room you are in. It will get you buy when you need it. Most electricy outages only last a day or two...

A 12kw is like $5k...that will power most of your stuff minus a/c

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I'll talk to one of our power-gen sales guys tomorrow. Most of the residential is propane/NG because of the availability... but we do make diesels also (mostly larger, and marine).

I'll let you know.
I got a homesite 2400 off woot about 8-10 months ago and it works great other than it is loud as hell. Is there any type of after market muff ot intake muff to quiet this thing down? I keep in the back of truck with the camper shut just to be able to talk to with someone 25-30 foot away.

·
Registered
358 Posts
6500 watts for 499

I bought a 6500 watt from harbor freight.

I plugged 4 extention cords into it, and ran 2 fridges a huge tv, a computer, moniter and router and a fan. That generator was not even having to work with that load.

Ran for about 14hours nonstop and used about 5.5 gallons

I belive I could have plugged a small window unit if I had to.

499 plus 24 bucks for a wheel kit, and its electric start.

·
IA2
22,150 Posts
You can make a reverse plug arrangement and power some of your house by simply plugging the generator into an outlet. Highly illegal, and you have to remember to turn off your main breaker to avoid backfeeding power into the grid, but it will work.

·
Gone but never forgotten
17,192 Posts
Well, my parents are looking for a generator for the house. They want one of the big ones that will power the entire house and switch on automatically at the circuit breaker when power is stopped. They have had it with the power loss at the house. Last time there was the huge storm, they lost power for 5 days...this time isnt looking much better.

Any suggestions on where to look or brands? Anyone have a hookup?

I know HD/Lowes carries some...but thats about it

PM David L. Gary on here. He works for Rental Service Corp and said they have a gajillion generators. Maybe they sell and rent em? hell who knows...which is why you should ask David LOL

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
You can make a reverse plug arrangement and power some of your house by simply plugging the generator into an outlet. Highly illegal, and you have to remember to turn off your main breaker to avoid backfeeding power into the grid, but it will work.
If someone gets shocked down the line,you WILL be held responsible for it...I'd just spend the $250 for the transfer switch. Thats what i did at my lake property. When the power goes out I flip a switch,plug my generator in and im good...Mine will power 5 circuits. When power is restored its just a matter of flipping a switch and killing the generator.

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
Who on the board is licensed to install a manual or powered transfer switch. We are looking at a 5500 portable that we can hook up to the house for outages.

I do not need it to power AC they cna sit under a fan I just want it installed at the circuit boxes so that I do not have to mess with extension cords

Raymond

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.