DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· you stinky bitch
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading the thread about bluecoupe's car getting jacked I think its time for me to look for a nice alarm. what are the prices for lojack and is there a monthly fee? also I was hearing about that alarm that requires a passcode and if the door opens you have to re-enter it everytime that happens..... or some shit, it sounded very effective..... info please......

· None
10,576 Posts
LoJack isn't an alarm, it's a tracking system.

If your car gets stolen, you call the police and give them your LoJack number. The police can then track your vehicle down and maybe catch the persons responsible. It's a one time purchase with no monthly charges. I think the deal we had setup a long time ago for a group purchase was about $320, but I don't think you can get it for that price anymore. Prolly closer to $500 now.

· Horsepower Extractor
4,686 Posts
Bad thing with Lojack.... if your car is stolen at 11PM and you don't notice until the next morning lets say at 7AM.... that gives the thieves 8 hours to disarm or dismantle it. The police won't track it until you report it stolen. Happend to somebody I know.

· None
10,576 Posts
66Deuce said:
Bad thing with Lojack.... if your car is stolen at 11PM and you don't notice until the next morning lets say at 7AM.... that gives the thieves 8 hours to disarm or dismantle it. The police won't track it until you report it stolen. Happend to somebody I know.
Bad thing with not having LoJack.... if your car is stolen at 11PM and you don't notice until the next morning lets say at 7AM...

You're screwed.

· Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I have also heard that if the car is moving they are unable to track it untill it has stoped. For example if the thieve is driving around they will not be able to get a single untill the car is fully stopped at a red light or like at a stop sign. But dont let that discourage you some Insurance companys will give you a discount just for having it. If you ask me the best tracking device is a GPS, (Onstar) because those are active all the time. About a year back some guy's in Grand Prairie got caught by one of those GPS and were caught within Minutes of the Owner notifying the Police. Most of the newer cars have it, just to name a few Acura,Chevy,Honda,BMW ect... Or just go to there web-site and they have alist of cars that have them. www.onstar.com and just click on "What is Onstar"

· IA2
22,150 Posts
Chris98GT said:
Bad thing with not having LoJack.... if your car is stolen at 11PM and you don't notice until the next morning lets say at 7AM...

You're screwed.
Yeah, I was thinking about Noah's car - found stripped and burning just a few hours after it was stolen. No Bueno.

· Premium Member
28,020 Posts
Got to love disinformation.

That is not the case. At all.

I've done the tracking with a LoJack unit and you can pick up a signal from like 5 miles away. Whether your target is moving, or stationary. And once you've picked up a signal, it's very accurate.

Cobra#2885 said:
I have also heard that if the car is moving they are unable to track it untill it has stoped. For example if the thieve is driving around they will not be able to get a single untill the car is fully stopped at a red light or like at a stop sign. But dont let that discourage you some Insurance companys will give you a discount just for having it. If you ask me the best tracking device is a GPS, (Onstar) because those are active all the time. About a year back some guy's in Grand Prairie got caught by one of those GPS and were caught within Minutes of the Owner notifying the Police. Most of the newer cars have it, just to name a few Acura,Chevy,Honda,BMW ect... Or just go to there web-site and they have alist of cars that have them. www.onstar.com and just click on "What is Onstar"

· Watch Me Do Me
4,896 Posts
GE said:
Got to love disinformation.

That is not the case. At all.

I've done the tracking with a LoJack unit and you can pick up a signal from like 5 miles away. Whether your target is moving, or stationary. And once you've picked up a signal, it's very accurate.
So when your car is taken to BFE to get stripped, no one will recieve a signal.

Im pretty sure the car is stripped by the time you notice its gone. Also, the people reading this site obviously knew who does and who doesnt have lojack.

· Premium Member
28,020 Posts
Five Point Slow said:
So when your car is taken to BFE to get stripped, no one will recieve a signal.

Im pretty sure the car is stripped by the time you notice its gone. Also, the people reading this site obviously knew who does and who doesnt have lojack.
And unless you tow my car out, you're probably not going to get it.

· Premium Member
28,020 Posts
Five Point Slow said:
And im sure thats 99% of the time!
Probably so. We all know, if someone wants it bad enough, they're going to get it.

The point of any of these devices, is theft deterrance. Make it as hard as you can for someone to steal your ride. Nothing is foolproof. But if you have a shitload of stuff to prevent it from getting jacked, the thief is just going to go somewhere else.

· Watch Me Do Me
4,896 Posts
GE said:
Probably so. We all know, if someone wants it bad enough, they're going to get it.

The point of any of these devices, is theft deterrance. Make it as hard as you can for someone to steal your ride. Nothing is foolproof. But if you have a shitload of stuff to prevent it from getting jacked, the thief is just going to go somewhere else.
the only bad thing is, lojack has nothing to do with helping your car from getting stolen, only getting it back (if you really wanted it back in the end)

· Premium Member
28,020 Posts
Five Point Slow said:
the only bad thing is, lojack has nothing to do with helping your car from getting stolen, only getting it back (if you really wanted it back in the end)
That's why you gotta use LoJack coupled with other stuff. Aside from being towed away, there are a ton of devices out there that can disable your car. And if you want to spend the big bucks and pay monitoring fees each month, you can be told when your car is moved at all.

· Shakin them haters off!
5,454 Posts
I say it's worth it. Got it on my car, and besides when the techs come out to install it, they put the transmitter where no one will ever find it. not even you know. It's worth the buck, if you care that much about your car.

· Watch Me Do Me
4,896 Posts
M.O.D. said:
I say it's worth it. Got it on my car, and besides when the techs come out to install it, they put the transmitter where no one will ever find it. not even you know. It's worth the buck, if you care that much about your car.
When most 5.0's are stolen, the theives normally dont keep the bodies.

· Shakin them haters off!
5,454 Posts
Five Point Slow said:
When most 5.0's are stolen, the theives normally dont keep the bodies.
I wouldn't know, i'm not a thief. (not implying) Like the other guy said if they want your shit bad enough, they'll take it by all means. Thats why there is inssurance! I bet it's a bitch to claim the performance parts.

· That's what she said!
3,876 Posts
Cobra#2885 said:
i have been selling lojacks at a local car dealership for a few months now. lojack works off of an fm frequency, meaning that if it is in a garage or under a lot of trees you can still find it. onstar basicly works off of "line of site" so if the vehicle is in one of these places it would be hard to track it lojack also comes with a backup battery so if the main battery is disabled the backup will run for 80 hours

· you stinky bitch
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok check this idea....... im not trying to expose this for the theives but I would like to know if it is possible... to help from getting your car towed off even..... could you use a line lock and activate it with a hidden switch? I mean could you step on your brake very hard and then activate your line lock to hold that brake pressure? that way it would be damn hard to tow it away.

· None
10,576 Posts
If your car is gonna be towed, it's gonna get towed. I've seen cars dragged with the rear wheels locked and screeching up onto a flatbed where it didn't matter anymore which wy the wheels were turned or any other variable.

If someone wants the car, they're gonna get it. With LoJack though, you stand a better than even chance on getting the car back. In what condition is always a variable, but personally I'd rather have the option left open rather than just knowing it's gone or a burnt shell down in S. Dallas.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.