DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Worship me
Joined
·
34,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go up there on Sunday to help a buddy look for a 2003 GT and they got a lot of GTs on the lot with red tags and a $2000 rebate...so i'm thinking "well i guess the old market ain't so hot for selling cars.

Then I go over and look at the Saleens...and it gets good.

It seems that they have the some of the same Saleens over there as they have had for the past 8 months. They have 3 or 4 2002 Saleens, 2 or 3 of them with blowers...sticker on the blower cars was about 40K if I remember right but they were discounted with the red tags to 36K. These are the 365 hp cars....less than the 2003 Cobras (which they had two of).

Then they had two of the new 2003 Saleen S281E cars...the "extreme" cars. In case no one knows, these are the S281s with the Lysholm screw blower instead of the shitty postive displacement blower on the 03 Cobra/plain vanilla supercharged 281. These cars also have a 6 speed, all forged internals, forged pistons, bad ass brakes, etc. They are 425 horse and will supposedly run 11.70s just by bolting on some ET streets. A pretty bad ass car mind you, the car the 03 Cobra SHOULD have been...mainly because the blower is totally bad ass. ANYWAY, these two cars were stickered at SEVENTY GRAND!! I thought holy shit....they had them marked down to 62 grand though.

What a fucking rip off.

I couldn't help but think...."would I rather have this or a Viper"....I did find it humorous that they would have two of these cars on their lot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
They always seem to sit on their Saleens along time and them have to mark them down. Its been like that for years you would think they would figure this out.
 

·
Worship me
Joined
·
34,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there are no potential Nobel prize winners at that dealership...

I remember when i went in there to look at their 03 Cobra and the guy told me "you could give me 5 grand over sticker for this car today and go sell it on E-bay"

And I thought "yea and monkeys might fly out of my ass too..."
 

·
None
Joined
·
12,675 Posts
Every so often I'll get a part from Midd's parts dept. I have not seen ANY of those saleens move over the last year. Last time I drove up, one of their "salesmen" asked if my car was a Saleen.

LOL.

I played it out and said :
"yeah, Saleen GT package..."

"oh, i heard about those...those are sweet cars. "

"Uh huh...see ya."
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
YoBro said:
I went up there when I was considering an 03' Cobra before I bought the vette and these guys are tryin to preach to me that the 03' Cobra would out handle and accelerate a new Z06. One joker said he was invited to a track testing and he drove both there was no comparison. LMAO you guys know nothing and I left.
 

·
Resident Pinstriper
Joined
·
5,190 Posts
I remember seeing a '98 or so S-351 there FOREVER !! They had it marked like $60-something grand, and I rolled through a while after that and it was like high $40's-low $50's....marked down. The "Extreme" is a pretty cool car.....but it's still just a Mustang under all that shit.

-Aaron
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
junkstang88 said:
I remember seeing a '98 or so S-351 there FOREVER !! They had it marked like $60-something grand, and I rolled through a while after that and it was like high $40's-low $50's....marked down. The "Extreme" is a pretty cool car.....but it's still just a Mustang under all that shit.

-Aaron
was that 98 a black one w/ gold lettering and side stripes?
 

·
None
Joined
·
12,675 Posts
Outside of the Saleen name and body kit, what would it cost to outfit an 03 cobra into the "saleen cobra"? Bout 10k? Maybe?
 

·
Served Time
Joined
·
1,175 Posts
I bought my Saleen from them. It was marked down to a bit over $35K. It started out close to $50K:eek: I am really surprised that they actually have a couple of E's. If the price on either E gets down to around $40-45K I will get one. Not at their current prices.
 

·
Worship me
Joined
·
34,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chris98GT said:
Outside of the Saleen name and body kit, what would it cost to outfit an 03 cobra into the "saleen cobra"? Bout 10k? Maybe?
You can make the 03 Cobra run as good as the S281E for really cheap, all you need is a lightning pulley.

BUT, if you want that bad ass blower it is about 3 grand from Kenne Bell. That blower is pretty sick for a little blower. That is the blower that you can put on a lightning and make 600+ to the wheels on a lightning. it is my understanding that the E car uses a proprietary piston design and some other shit, but I doubt it is worth it outside of saving Saleen some warranty claims.

Of course, all that extra Saleen bullshit is extra, the wheels, seats, brakes, body kit....all that adds up...but 70 grand...FUCK NO.
 

·
Worship me
Joined
·
34,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
01-0800 said:
I bought my Saleen from them. It was marked down to a bit over $35K. It started out close to $50K:eek: I am really surprised that they actually have a couple of E's. If the price on either E gets down to around $40-45K I will get one. Not at their current prices.
i would consider one at about 42K....more than that and they can keep it. i bet they would be losing money at that price though.
 

·
Served Time
Joined
·
1,175 Posts
Chris98GT said:
Outside of the Saleen name and body kit, what would it cost to outfit an 03 cobra into the "saleen cobra"? Bout 10k? Maybe?
Maybe less than that.
 

·
Rolling with the homies
Joined
·
43,268 Posts
junkstang88 said:
I remember seeing a '98 or so S-351 there FOREVER !! They had it marked like $60-something grand, and I rolled through a while after that and it was like high $40's-low $50's....marked down. The "Extreme" is a pretty cool car.....but it's still just a Mustang under all that shit.

-Aaron
Isn't that the one that Wes Tarbox bought and later sold?
 

·
None
Joined
·
12,675 Posts
AL P said:
You can make the 03 Cobra run as good as the S281E for really cheap, all you need is a lightning pulley.

BUT, if you want that bad ass blower it is about 3 grand from Kenne Bell. That blower is pretty sick for a little blower. That is the blower that you can put on a lightning and make 600+ to the wheels on a lightning. it is my understanding that the E car uses a proprietary piston design and some other shit, but I doubt it is worth it outside of saving Saleen some warranty claims.

Of course, all that extra Saleen bullshit is extra, the wheels, seats, brakes, body kit....all that adds up...but 70 grand...FUCK NO.
Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking. The suspension, engine and drivetrain mods thrown onto a basic 03 cobra (there's an oxymoron) is far cheaper than the Saleen package.

I like the looks of the Saleens, but not that much.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,716 Posts
Yo Bro,
Where in Frisco do you live?

How many stangs do you still have? btw love the vette pics, I just wonder how you get over speed bumps and such having a lowered vette.

Al,
Did you ever get the z06?

Mike89lx,01 Cobra
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
mike89lx said:
Yo Bro,
Where in Frisco do you live?

How many stangs do you still have? btw love the vette pics, I just wonder how you get over speed bumps and such having a lowered vette.
Rolater and Preston....I have no stangs now:( I have to go slow and angle over everything it sucks but I dont mind. I think you posted before you know Chris, you go over there much?
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top