DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, what type...brand of modem are you using with your LINUX setup? I have upgraded to RED HAT 8.0, now my BEST DATA modem only connects at 9600.....WAY TOO SLO:mad: . PLEASE help.

Thanks, Ron H.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I used the "wvdialconf create" to locate the modem, seemed to work OK. I will probably hook it up to DSL when I get the box home, right now I must use a dial up because I'm using it at work. Where would I find the correct drivers?

Thanks, Ron H

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,199 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
AbecX said:
Linux doesnt use drivers, it uses modules. If its dialing out, its working correctly, most likely the settings in wvdialer are not setup properly.
modules, drivers, in context they are the same thing.. anyway.. the link you gave could possibly help him get online.. but id feel better if he were to read this:

http://new.linuxnow.com/docs/content/Modem-HOWTO-html/Modem-HOWTO.html

navman7:

and all crap aside, it probably is just the init string that was automatically set for your modem. You may want to try changing it to just something like ATX and seeing if it connects any faster at all.. if it does you can look through your documentation for the modem and find the correct string to enter

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,199 Posts
knalb said:
modules, drivers, in context they are the same thing..
I'm real anal about word usuage when it comes to comptuers :mad:
it probably is just the init string that was automatically set for your modem
Good point, its been almost 4 years since I've used a dialup connection, but I dont think the modules have anything to do with your connection problem, rather then a software setting ( on the comptuer or the modem ) thats limiting your speed. Try hitting up your modem manu.'s website and see if they have a listing of init strings for speed adjustment for your modem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
AbecX said:
I'm real anal about word usuage when it comes to comptuers :mad:

haha.. yeah.. normally I am too but, well.. you know how it goes.

Good point, its been almost 4 years since I've used a dialup connection
yes.. dial up is for the devil!

Try hitting up your modem manu.'s website and see if they have a listing of init strings for speed adjustment for your modem.
or this site:
http://www.modemhelp.org/inits/bestdata.html

assuming the model of the modem is listed there

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I can't beleive this thing is this tough. I've been around computers for almost thirty years....and daym this one's got me. I have gone to BEST DATA's web site and downloaded their modem command manual....230 pages :eek: oh well guess I'll start reading. If anything else comes to mind please post it.....I'm getting older by the hour. :D

Thanks again, Ron H.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.