DFW Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
Well being you have a sweet cougar then just do the bolt ons. Maybe get the pi heads/intake/cams. But when i had my 96 i just had a catted xpipe, pulleys and timing adjuster and made 216rwhp, which is low but was fun to say the least. It's hard to keep cars stock in this hobby. I bought another daily driver and just want to do bolt ons, not gonna do much else. But make sure and buy used to save money. I do have a densecharger cold air system i'm selling for $100 if you want to get started, only intakes that work. They're not the ricer metal pipe shit that heats up. Main sites i went to with my mod motor car were www.corral.net and www.modulardepot.com

good luck on it. let me know on the intake.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah... I too used to own a '98 gt, which I just traded in for my '04 gt. They are slower, but I would recomend: cams/heads/intake/3.77 gears/headers (open up your exhaust perhaps x-pipe)/ignition... this will make it a lot better, however, I could only hang with "lightly" modified '99 and up stangs-never beet them. Look into procharges, expensive, but you will get a nice return!

·
Im Not Fat Im Big Boned !
1,519 Posts
whiteboy said:
your not going to drag crap in a 98gt. go dyno it you'll be lucky to get 180 h.p.,the motors in the 96-98 gt's have crappy ass heads,

get 99 and up P.I. heads 410 gears full exhuast, pulleys timing adjuster

I had everything he mentioned except my gears were a 3.55 and the max HP and TQ I got was 247 hp & 279 tq I spent a lot on it and didnt gain much but I came from 178 hp & 245 tq ! so that was better than not I guess, it was quick but not a LS1 beater, I could take down a couple new GT's and the 96-98 GT's but thats about it. I let mine go back, im sure someone got it now and is thinkin they need to do a headswap and its already done ! lol oops

·
Im Not Fat Im Big Boned !
1,519 Posts
exactly...off road and flows and a k&n and your set....who cares if its not fast...at least it will sound nice...thats what i should have done and just kept mine,,,,if i wouldnt have spent so much tryin to make it fast (lol) then i could probably have afforded to keep it ! also throw some nice R's or 98 snowflakes on it and get a window tint if not already and your set !

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
anything you can do to a 99-up you can do to a 96-98. Personally I like the 96-98 style better. My brother has an 03 GT and I have had a chance to take over payments on it but I'd rather keep my car. If you are mechanically inclined then it's not so bad.

·
FPE - Full Plumber Effect
4,831 Posts
I swapped an 03 2v in my 98 with my mods and have a quick gt . Don't listen to alot of these guys, they will tell you anything just to increase their post count. Get a full exhaust and 4.10's and a pi intake and you will be very happy with your daily driver.

·
Premium Member
36,166 Posts
ScottEvil said:
I swapped an 03 2v in my 98 with my mods and have a quick gt . Don't listen to alot of these guys, they will tell you anything just to increase their post count. Get a full exhaust and 4.10's and a pi intake and you will be very happy with your daily driver.
I'll have a 600rwhp '98GT when I'm done. It'll be plenty "quick", that doesn't mean that econodrag wants to spend that much on his daily driver. C'mon now, you are comparing bolt-ons with an entire motor swap, last time I checked a new motor couldn't be had for a only few hundred bucks. The truth is that the pre '99 4.6 isn't worth modding for power unless you are willing to spend a pretty penny, for a daily driver I say leave it alone.

·
Good times
9,488 Posts
Got Boost? said:
I'll have a 600rwhp '98GT when I'm done. It'll be plenty "quick", that doesn't mean that econodrag wants to spend that much on his daily driver. C'mon now, you are comparing bolt-ons with an entire motor swap, last time I checked a new motor couldn't be had for a only few hundred bucks. The truth is that the pre '99 4.6 isn't worth modding for power unless you are willing to spend a pretty penny, for a daily driver I say leave it alone.
amen

·
FPE - Full Plumber Effect
4,831 Posts
Got Boost? said:
i did not tell him to get a new motor, i just told him to get a full exhaust, gears and a pi intake, maybe $1000-1300 and he will enjoy his 98 , instead of be embarresed about its lack of power. :p

·
Banned
20,196 Posts
ScottEvil said:
i did not tell him to get a new motor, i just told him to get a full exhaust, gears and a pi intake, maybe $1000-1300 and he will enjoy his 98 , instead of be embarresed about its lack of power. :p
PM pattymelt. I know he has a full 4V motor from a 96-98 cobra. I don't know how much he wants but hey, it's a thought. He might even be able to hook you up with some installation help.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
I didn't want to mod mine at first either but having a 193RWHP V-8 gets really old whether you are racing or not. It's not fun at all having a V-8 with the output of a 4cyl. I had to do something and I wasn't about to buy a new one and tear it up.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Cujo_64 said:
exactly...off road and flows and a k&n and your set....who cares if its not fast...at least it will sound nice...thats what i should have done and just kept mine,,,,if i wouldnt have spent so much tryin to make it fast (lol) then i could probably have afforded to keep it ! also throw some nice R's or 98 snowflakes on it and get a window tint if not already and your set !
I'm with Cujo, simple drop in K&N (saves money in the long run anyways) and a good sounding catback (flowmasters you have will easily suffice) and nice 3-3.5 inch chrome tips out the rear, tint, and when it is ready for new tires snag some Cobra R's (used about $400) and get new tires in the 275 45 17 size from Buzzo's hookup in the Group Purchase forum (buy 3 get 1 free at NTB). Pretty much the most cost effective to pimpin ratio i can think of, off the bat.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts