DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Keep your unicorns
12,421 Posts
I've had to fix a truck that wouldn't start because of it before with a 460. My Camaro was also 2/10s slower with the Jacobs junk. It also dynoed with substantially less power.

Personally I'd stick with their neighbors, MSD.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Uhhhm, ask any fast guy on this board....and the answer will be MSD all the way. Almost Guaranteed!

I've seen and experienced too many headaches with Jacobs stuff.

·
Beer Swillin' *******
1,371 Posts
My $0.02:

I have persoanlly had almosy every part I have ever ordered from Jacobs fail, save for the ignition coil. Their customer service stinks and their products make Autozone stuff look high quality.

Do yourself a favor and look to the manufacturer that is a little further west, MSD.

·
Keep your unicorns
12,421 Posts
If you have a junky ignition to start with, for example points, the stuff is like magic. It works wonders on VW bugs and I've seen an Isuzu pickup gain quite a bit of power from it.

MSD, or if you dare to be different the Holley stuff works good to.

·
Keep your unicorns
12,421 Posts
I also tried an Accel 300+ box, made no more rwhp and it burned up on me. I have used an MSD digital 6 ever since.

When Supershops was open, way back when, they had Sparky on the counter. Speedtek has one now. It's a mallory distributor and coil with a power supply and an adjustable airgap to simulate cylinder loading.

We stacked business cards between the two leads, over an inch apart btw, and the Jacobs pro street box sparked around the cards and melted the cover. It only worked for a few seconds and went poof, never worked again. The Mallory box just petered out, only made a buzzing noise.

I know this isn't exactly a scientific test but the Jacobs box did kick ass for a few seconds and burned up, never to be heard from again. The Mallory box didn't like this test but when about 75% of the cards were used it would burn right through. Most of the employees used it to light cigarettes on a daily basis to. Back then I didn't know anyone with MSD stuff so we never tested it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts