DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Good times
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're unfamiliar with my being sued and the story that followed....basically on July 15, 2003, a lady ran a red light, hit me, said it was my fault, sued me, asked for a lot of money saying it was my fault and it was going to trial March 30, 2005.
Details are in these threads: original story , got it back from the shop , I find out I'm being sued , and the story continues .

I got a call from my lawyer today saying they decided to settle. I'm not out any more money other than the original $525 deductible. That paid for my ~$8000 in legal fees that had run up leading to the trial. She on the other hand had to pay her deductible (also 500), her ~$16000 medical bills, and however uch her legal fees ended up being. She got $5000. As I understand it this is the best way out because I don't have a judgement against me and I've been vindicated from it all. I just think it's carp that she gets any money at all. But what can you do? Other than the "official" letter saying they settled, the mess is over with and I don't ever have to deal with her or it again. :)

·
Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,140 Posts
Do you still have insurance?

My uncle's insurance company in Wisconsin settle a claim against his home owners insurance, but no one will insure him now.

·
How you doin'
28,254 Posts
i still don't understand how they can say that it's your fault, if the information in the first thread is true...:confused:

·
Good times
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No it's all true. They're not saying it's my fault. It's kind of liek a "no fault", we each have to take care of our own car, medical bills, etc. I still say it's crap because it does still seem like they're saying it's my fault. But I argued with my lawyer for 23 minutes and she said this is in my best legal interest. She said all it would take would be one jury member and it could swing to my having a judgement against me, and her getting the full $50K she was orginally asking for. Bascially this way I'm only out the $525 deductible and nothing more other than having the wreck on my record. I still need to talk to the adjuster to see about getting the accident put at "no fault" on my insurance so that it doesn't keep my rates up. But yes I am insured, through another company. It's like 110 a month for a 19 y.o. on a Cobra :D (that's the one good thing about Lubbock).

·
Got Lateral G's??
9,822 Posts
Old Fart said:
that's too nice.....bullit in fucking head has more of a statement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts