DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Still Slow
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant seem to get the damn intake gasket to not leak water into the valley, would it be a bad idea to rtv the water ports of the gasket to the head, then let the rtv cure, after that rtv the top of the water ports where they touch the intake manif then tq down the manifold? Are there any other suggestions on getting it to seal, im sure my bearings are not liking the milkshake :(

·
Scared s**tless
13,733 Posts
use a new gasket, and use black sealer at the corners of the gasket. use an "X" tightening pattern and be even with the tightening.

it should NOT leak. if it still leaks, check for a cracked intake or water neck.

·
Foxaholic
6,822 Posts
intake

to answer your question... yes, you can rtv around the coolant passages. That is the method that Edelbrock recommends with their manifold instructions. Make sure that the head surface and ends of the block are absolutely clean. Use a thick bead of Ultra black RTV on the end seals and extend it up the side of each gasket about a half an inch. Good luck. Let me know if you need any help.

·
Still Slow
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats damn near what i did, i used black around the water ports and on the corners, had a new gasket from autozone for a 351W it fits my vic jr intake and stock 351W heads. i tq'd down to 15 then to 20 then to 25 ft lbs in the order that they are supposed to be tq'd down in, the water leaked much quicker after i redid it so i dont think the intake manif is cracked, it has very few miles on it and the motor hasnt seen over 230F and when it did it was for a short amount of time. Maybe it is my tq wrench its a 15-120ft lbs one from autozone, great neck brand. I should prolly get a Craftsman 3/8ths from sears so i dont have to use the 1/2 to 3/8th converter. The car was also missing and it never did before so that also leads me to beleive it was just not sealed, it was the #5 cyl i beleive cause it had white specks in the port.

·
Foxaholic
6,822 Posts
crap neck

"Maybe it is my tq wrench its a 15-120ft lbs one from autozone, great neck brand. I should prolly get a Craftsman 3/8ths from sears so i dont have to use the 1/2 to 3/8th converter"

YES, replace it with a Craftsman or better. Great neck tools are horrible. I have broken several ratchets into two pieces at the handle!:eek: May not solve your problem, but at least you will know the torque is accurate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.