DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new head unit on my Cobra.

Originally, I was looking at the Kenwood KDC-MP919. Then a friend turned me onto the Alpine CDA-7894.

I'm looking to get it off ebay from a Powerseller for some decent prices. I think the Alpine is buy it now for $279 and the Kenwood for close to the same price.

Is the Alpine hands down the clear winner?

A friend of mine suggested the Alpine CDA-7995, which is a dead head requiring amps to power my speakers.

Keep in mind I'm not an audiophile....the Mach 460 has kept me happy since 1994. PLEASE, give me some input on my current options?? Help a Car Audio NOOB out. :D :p

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
I would wait until late Jan. or early Feb. (I think this is the right time frame) and let the new 2003 stuff come out, prices will drop.

I can wait for my head unit but if you are going to get one soon the alpine CDA-7894 is your friend. EW likes Eclipse and they are awesome also but you need an external amp on the good ones.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I hit up AutoSound in Bedford. EW set me up with the Alpine 7894! Eric, is AWESOME to deal with. He showed me some of the features on the Alpine and I was sold. He took the time out to show me different units and give me the pro's and con's and he had some GREAT deals.

For anyone that is looking for car audio items....go to EW!!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plugged the Alpine in for a test run. It sounds GREAT! It plays CD with more clarity. I've bypass the internal amp of the head unit and am running the stock speakers through the stock Mach 460 amps. It seems quite a bit louder as well.

I do have one issue. (Ya there Eric?? :D) When I power the head unit off there is a small pop. I'm assuming it's coming from the amp. Or if I shut the car off with the radio on. All wiring has been done as instructed. Is that small pop normal on these aftermarket head units?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
EW said:
We may need to put a vendetta adapter on there to fix that. I am very interested in checking it out when you have the chance.
Is this something that goes in between the RCA plugs??

When I get a chance, I'll bring it by. Maybe next week when the new year settles in. There are a few questions I have about the fabbing a face plate for the bottom DIN. :D

·
Procrastination Racing
9,169 Posts
Rock said:
Is this something that goes in between the RCA plugs??

When I get a chance, I'll bring it by. Maybe next week when the new year settles in. There are a few questions I have about the fabbing a face plate for the bottom DIN. :D
We have pockets to fill the holes and ford has pockets and blank plates as well. They do have some rca level vendettas but we may need to change some wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EW said:
We have pockets to fill the holes and ford has pockets and blank plates as well. They do have some rca level vendettas but we may need to change some wiring.
As far as the bottom DIN goes, I'm putting my Boost Controller, switches, etc down there. So, yeah, I was thinking i needed a pocket with a plate that I can cut up. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.