DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting me a set of these next week, I just ordered them. Does anyone have them, and do you notice any differance over regular rotors.

·
Im somebody's daddy!
14,602 Posts
tphan has those, or something like those on his car.

Another thing you can do is get some braided brake lines. Also, cut one or two groves in the brake pads, not all the way through to the metal, but 3/4 through. Cut them vertically.

·
Premium Member
16,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on getting some new brake lines too. I just needed to spend that $200 gift cert to hp store, and since they sell next to no stang stuff, I had them order the rotors for me. Stoping is good :D

·
Hanging on ropes
2,001 Posts
though S.S. brakes lines are a great idea, in reality they really don't make a diffrence. 99% of the diffrence poeple feel after they install them is due to the fact that they bled the brakes for the first time in years!

·
None
12,675 Posts
I have a set of powerslots on the front and I really don't know if I felt any difference. For me doing a better caliper and pads would make more of a difference.

·
OLD SCHOOL crew
11,619 Posts
After switching to braided lines on my fox it reduced fade quite a bit and the pedal "felt" better.

Bryan did you ever road race?

·
OLD SCHOOL crew
11,619 Posts
Pads will probably make the biggest difference on an sn-95 car for the money. On a fox the best bang for the buck would be pads and stainless caliper sleeves. Heard the 73mm calipers are great, but haven't tried them yet.

I am not saying a 1k+ dollar front brake set up will be out performed by a set of quality pads, but you can get great braking performance out of some nice EBC pads for less than $100 that will bring the car to a halt MUCH better than stock and nearly as quickly as the expensive disc/caliper conversions.

·
OLD SCHOOL crew
11,619 Posts
one more...really the best/cheapest brake improvement would be good pads and good front end traction (sticky tires)

·
Premium Member
16,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I already have some really nice pads all the way around, I just wanted to suplement those with some nice rotors, but if they really arent gonna help much, why even bother.

·
None
12,675 Posts
They help alot if you are doing a lot of heavy braking as the "gas" that builds up under heavy braking is vented through the slots.

I would say that YES you will see a shorter stopping distance as your main benefit, but as a sotp feel i dunno if it's noticable since I didn't go slammin on my brakes from high speeds all that much :D

I'm sure if you were doing some track / road racing you would probably notice it due to the amount of heavy braking going on.

·
Premium Member
16,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya, I have thought about the 99 calipers, but I havent found any cheap ones yet :D

the rotors will work with those calipers anyway :D

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
If you really want to feel a difference in stopping ability swap the Cobra rotors and calipers to your car. I know it is $$$$ but you will see a good difference especially compared to what you have now.

·
Hanging on ropes
2,001 Posts
Allot of guys on the Merkur list have been swapping PBR calipers onto 'kur's. i guess its supposed to be a pretty dang good caliper for the buck. i'd look into it.

·
Premium Member
16,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WhtEdge said:
If you really want to feel a difference in stopping ability swap the Cobra rotors and calipers to your car. I know it is $$$$ but you will see a good difference especially compared to what you have now.

The 99 pbr's are almost identicle in design to the cobra brakes except they use 11 in rotors instead of 13. I do plan on getting the pbr calipers when I find a good deal, but now I am just getting the rotors, and the calipers will come later.

·
Hanging on ropes
2,001 Posts
DarkPony said:
The 99 pbr's are almost identicle in design to the cobra brakes except they use 11 in rotors instead of 13. I do plan on getting the pbr calipers when I find a good deal, but now I am just getting the rotors, and the calipers will come later.
i'll troll through the merkur list when i get time. i know some people had found KILLER deals on the calipers.

·
Rolling with the homies
43,268 Posts
DarkPony said:
ya, I have thought about the 99 calipers, but I havent found any cheap ones yet :D

the rotors will work with those calipers anyway :D
You would probably kick my ass if you knew how much I got the two pairs I have for :D

·
Im somebody's daddy!
14,602 Posts
Hobie, no I never road raced.

The caliper sleeves would be a good idea also. Im not sure if BJ's car uses them though? I know they do on the foxes. The sleeves keep the caliper 'true' to the rotor, and dont let them cock on the caliper bolts... which would make the pad keep even pressure on the rotor. On the foxes they are plastic and they crack and the plastic thins out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts