DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
woof!
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have been working out for about 2 1/2 months now when i started i was benching 255 max and now im at 315 max but for the last two weeks i havent gone up any, have i reached my platue (sp?) and if i have how do i get pass it?
let me know thanks jose

·
Premium Member
4,291 Posts
change your routine up, what kind of routine are you doing right now, that will give a thought into how you should change it up.

·
Crash Test Dummy
21,966 Posts
Switch it up.

When I hit a plateau I did dumbell presses exclusively for three chest workouts. No barbells. When I got back, I was stronger on the bench press.

Or you can try some negatives.

·
woof!
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
everyday i workout one body part at a time but i try to work them out as hard as i can

m- f workout
day 1 chest
day 2 back
day 3 off day
day 4 legs
day 5 arms

·
Crash Test Dummy
21,966 Posts
Your body is basically calling you a punk! It's saying "I can handle what your throw at me"

So you need to give it something different. :D

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
Switch it up.

Play with your reps, switch to dumbells. Basically your body is kicking your mind's ass.

·
woof!
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Monsoon X said:
Switch it up.

When I hit a plateau I did dumbell presses exclusively for three chest workouts. No barbells. When I got back, I was stronger on the bench press.

Or you can try some negatives.

sorry but what do you mean by "negatives"

·
Crash Test Dummy
21,966 Posts
Stroked Pony-

You'll need someone to help you on the negatives to get the most out of it. If your max is 315 then do negatives with 315.

Unrack it and take it slowly down to your chest. Agonizingly slow! Your partner should then yank it back up to the starting position. Don't attempt to press it back up. do the reverse of the press. All your might should go towards letting it come down to your chest slowly. Since 315 is your max. Then 5-6 negatives with 315 should get you sore.

But since you've never done it before and 315 is alot to work then just switch to working out with dumbells. Go heavy on the dumbells for three chest workouts (or three weeks in your case) Like 100lbs on the press. (100lbs in both hands btw.)

·
Registered
274 Posts
How much are you sleeping? How is your diet? These two play as much if not a more direct correlation into both size and strength gains. Your overtraining my stem from a lack of sleep or just not enough calories in your diet. I would take a good look at both of these areas.

·
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
13,296 Posts
negatives are the shit.. but i aproach them a little differently to JC.. if 315 is your ORM.. unless you have somone DLing the weight off you, you wont move it 5-6 times.. drop to 275. hit it for as many times as you can.. then do 2 ultra slow negatives..
2-3 sets of that.. and then ONE ORM ( at this point there should be no way you can move 315 back up by yourself) should do the trick.. works for me..
If found that unless you can use the weight to get to failure after a decent number of reps.. doing 2-3 negatives only isnt as effective...

now.. if you can move 315 2-3 times alone.. squeese out 2-3 assisted reps. and THEN do 2 negative. thats golden. It all depends on what you want to do.

Also.. dont put to much enphasis on bench.. are you stuck on the majority of your movements? or just bench?

your body recoves as a whole.. not as individual parts and it seems to me that one day rest every 5 days is WAY to little..

I prefer doing 3 on. .2 off 1 on.. 1 off...
mon = shouldes/tri;s
tues - back.bis.
wed - legs
thrusday/friday= nothing.. not even cardio
sat = chest/bis.
sunday = rest

i also do 40 min of cadio every weight day.

·
woof!
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
White_lightning said:
negatives are the shit.. but i aproach them a little differently to JC.. if 315 is your ORM.. unless you have somone DLing the weight off you, you wont move it 5-6 times.. drop to 275. hit it for as many times as you can.. then do 2 ultra slow negatives..
2-3 sets of that.. and then ONE ORM ( at this point there should be no way you can move 315 back up by yourself) should do the trick.. works for me..
If found that unless you can use the weight to get to failure after a decent number of reps.. doing 2-3 negatives only isnt as effective...

now.. if you can move 315 2-3 times alone.. squeese out 2-3 assisted reps. and THEN do 2 negative. thats golden. It all depends on what you want to do.

Also.. dont put to much enphasis on bench.. are you stuck on the majority of your movements? or just bench?

your body recoves as a whole.. not as individual parts and it seems to me that one day rest every 5 days is WAY to little..

I prefer doing 3 on. .2 off 1 on.. 1 off...
mon = shouldes/tri;s
tues - back.bis.
wed - legs
thrusday/friday= nothing.. not even cardio
sat = chest/bis.
sunday = rest

i also do 40 min of cadio every weight day.

hey thanks guys im going to try the negitives asap!!! just to see if that will help me out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts