DFW Mustang Forums banner

I have this friend with a 2v 99+GT..........

412 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  2cammer97 
#1 ·
What should he do?

He already has some nice fat rims but, he's considering getting some more expensive pair.

I'm trying to talk him out of it. My reason is "why not just spend the money on performance"? I think he's willing to spend around 2k 2500 at the most.

N/A set up: PP/and cams. Is this really a good way to go? I've heard that it won't even put you over 300rwhp. Can any mod shops, up the CR? to get good N/A performance?

Blower: He's really worried about reliability. Are there any 2vs on this site that haven't had probs with a blown 99+ 2v daily driver? Considering it has a conservative tune.

#8 · (Edited)
DarkPony said:
tell byron to get n/a cams, ported heads, and long tubes. The only way to go. :D
That is a good idea, PP heads, NA cams, Longtubes, Bullet intake and pullies, 90mm Lightning maf, 75mm TB, chip, and a good tune should get him around 300 rwhp. Dont get me wrong, I liked my stang but there is no replacement for displacement. Ford really needs to put a bigger displacement motor in thier Mustangs, at least a 5.4.

#9 ·
Monsoon X said:
Blower: He's really worried about reliability. Are there any 2vs on this site that haven't had probs with a blown 99+ 2v daily driver? Considering it has a conservative tune.
My bro in law has had his charger on for a few months and it doesnt give him any problems at all. Its not just the blower though it has aftercooler 42 lb injectors 255 intank pump etc. Currently he's at 409rwhp and 11.6's in the 1/4 stock weight + speaker box.

#10 ·
JC, the numbers vary from car to car but p&p heads, cams, longtubes, and chip usually produce between 285-305 rwhp and between 295-315 rwhp with a bullit manifold. tell byron to do it the p&p/cams/longtubes/chip. this adds up to about $2k depending on which longtubes and who ports the heads. you and byron could do the swap, it's not that difficult. ya'll could knock it out in a weekend. his cobra r's look nice, i say keep and add performance.

my numbers might seem a little low but this is a fresh motor. let it break in a little more. plus if i were to add a TB, mass air, u/d pullies it would make more power. i'll have new numbers wednesday after DMann tunes my car.

marcus

#12 ·
blaze1076 said:
What's the best cam for an 02? Not too much of a gas guzzler, but not a puss cam. Right in the middle. :confused:
talk to Crane. most of their cams are pretty mild. they give good performance without affecting idle much. the only thing is they don't lope very hard but they make good power.

marcus

#13 · (Edited)
blaze1076 said:
What's the best cam for an 02? Not too much of a gas guzzler, but not a puss cam. Right in the middle. :confused:
I would recommend the Houston Performance Naturally Aspirated cams, they make great power NA, but they dont have as big a lope as the Blower cams do. Also Crower has some nice Steel billet cam cores that are not regrinds or factory cores. They have a Stage 2 cam Part#62801 that really makes great mid range power, here are the specs LC = 114, Adv Duration= 258 / 254 Duration @ 050= 212 / 208, lift is .570 / .559 . Get some nice Modmax valve springs and get your heads ported and polished and make some nice power. Take it to Mannie and Ozzie to have them do the work, they can also get the heads and cams from Houston Performance as well. They can knock it out in a matter of a couple days and do great work, here is their website www.hppracing.com .

#14 ·
All those suggestions sound good. Dang, I was trying to keep Byron IncongNEGRO but, you guys figured it out.

Yeah, I'm trying to talk him out of more wheels and get some performance.

This isn't a flame but, I think he's a bit jaded because he's gonna spend 2k and still probably get walked by a bolt-on LS1. Seriously he's kinda like I was. "Why even try"?

But nevertheless I'm trying to talk him into doing something performance related.

#16 ·
Monsoon X said:
All those suggestions sound good. Dang, I was trying to keep Byron IncongNEGRO but, you guys figured it out.

Yeah, I'm trying to talk him out of more wheels and get some performance.

This isn't a flame but, I think he's a bit jaded because he's gonna spend 2k and still probably get walked by a bolt-on LS1. Seriously he's kinda like I was. "Why even try"?

But nevertheless I'm trying to talk him into doing something performance related.
JC, IMO he won't get walked by many bolton LS1's. i've had VERY good luck against ls1's and a few vette's for that matter. there are sooo many ls1's runnin around out there that have clueless drivers from a stop up until about 110 he should do fine. not to mention at the track he can bolton slicks and out run 90% of them. like you know, the driver is an important factor.

tell him to do heads/cams/longtubes/chip and then add some 31 spline axles and an eaton. that should come to about $2500. he should be able to go to the track and run 7.9-8.1's in the 1/8 consistently with practice.

again, JMO. what do i know i'm an Aggie that drives a 4.6 2V. :)

marcus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.