DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Slow Trans Am
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driving of a 5 speed(or lack thereof) is really not to great. I have gotten beat a few times by others cars that i know are slower than me. Anyone got any tips or anything that can help me out in this department? It's really quite sad and i get crap all the time about it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
power shift like a mother!

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Some of us just know how to shift:D , and others don't:( . But you'll learn.

Don't really know what to say because I've been told by many that I race that I have "form" while shifting and know it has kept me close in a few races that I should have been back by a few cars.

PRACTICE!!:)

·
Watch Me Do Me
4,896 Posts
A U T O

Get a Auto.

Maybe sit shot gun with someone that does know how to drive. I also think that when i think about it and try really hard to do it, i always fuck up. Try to just do it without thinkin' hard about it and just doing it.

BTW, Get an auto.

·
Still Slow
2,347 Posts
get a aftermarket shifer, then when you shift dont let off the gas(power shift) but shift fast, as fast as possible you can slam it if you have a aftermarket with the stops so you dont bend the shift forks.

·
Registered
655 Posts

·
Watch Me Do Me
4,896 Posts
I wouldnt recommend power shifting untill you've got normal shifting down pretty quick. If you dont, you'll be tapping that rev limiter each time between shifts and really tearing shit up quick.

Just practice on quick shifting with the clutch and foot off the gas between shifts.

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,199 Posts
What year car? You maybe screwing up your shift points.

·
Registered
655 Posts
well good luck.

·
Kill u w kindness
1,594 Posts
Don't be Scared

You gotta be kind of mean to it :D

An aftermarket shifter is one of the best low dollar mods. It really helps the POS T5 live longer.

It is one of those zen like things that if you are thinking about it you're not doing it right. You feel it not think it.

also taking the RPMs to 5700-6000 (in a stocker)seems to help the syncros mesh. I think it has to do with the greater inertia of the motor helping you go throught the syncros quicker. Hesitation is not your friend in this situation. If you "power shift" the motor RPMs should never deviate or jump more than 200 rpms at most. The better your timing the less the RPMs jump during your shift. Not to mention less broken parts. With good clean shifting your vehicle should never break momentum and thus go faster. That is why a tallented shifter can make a 5 speed Mustang go alot faster than you would think it should. PM me if you want more info. I have helped alot of folks Improve their manual shifting and times over the years. By the way parts break.

·
Registered
655 Posts
SleeperGTS said:
Don't be Scared. By the way parts break.
:( they do.........:(

·
Slow Trans Am
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it's on a 91 and i try to shift about 5300 or so. I have a aftermarkert shifter also. I think i try to concentrate on it to hard and think about it and it messes me up.
Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
Dyno your car and shift so that your next gear will be right below (a few hundred RPMs) your max hp/tq readings. Other than that some good advice has already been given. Oh... and don't shift at redline... most cars die right when they get to that point.

·
Watch Me Do Me
4,896 Posts
91Coupe said:
He was refering to the fact that he might not be shifting at the correct rpm, if he isnt shifting fast enough, thats one thing, if he is shifiting at 6000 rpms on a 5.0, thats another, retard.
What the fuck does this have to do with the topic anyhow ?

It doesnt matter if he shifts at 10,000 RPM, if he sucks at shifts, he sucks at shifts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.