DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
[]D[][]\/[][]D
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys do after you tear down an engine to get it read for a rebuild? what do you use to clean the oil passages and the bores with? What do you use to scrape the carbon off of pistons? I've heard to clean the cylinder walls with atf? any truth to this? If you're leaving in cam bearings do you do anything special to them? Anything else you could add would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Nick

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
Vat it

·
Banned
31,758 Posts
take it up to the coin-op carwash and hit it w/ the degreaser, then high pressure soap, then high pressure rinse, then, if you don't have access to commpressed air to blow it out, hose it down w/ a few cans of WD40.

if it's "not that dirty", just use Berryman's and some bottle brushes

·
[]D[][]\/[][]D
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cooter said:
take it up to the coin-op carwash and hit it w/ the degreaser, then high pressure soap, then high pressure rinse, then, if you don't have access to commpressed air to blow it out, hose it down w/ a few cans of WD40.

if it's "not that dirty", just use Berryman's and some bottle brushes
excellent.

What about a home hone job? I've seen people do it with some kinda drill extension... any advice on attempting it?

·
Premium Member
33,187 Posts
First you might want to measure the bores in a few places, check for excessive taper, gouges, etc. And the ring groove at the top might need to be cut with a ridge reamer. You planning to use the flat-stone hone, or a glaze breaker (dingle hone) on the cylinders?

·
[]D[][]\/[][]D
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
46Tbird said:
First you might want to measure the bores in a few places, check for excessive taper, gouges, etc. And the ring groove at the top might need to be cut with a ridge reamer. You planning to use the flat-stone hone, or a glaze breaker (dingle hone) on the cylinders?
I dont know enough to know which one to use. I was going to use the one with the wire and ball setup...

·
WRECKIN' BALL BITCHES!
9,734 Posts
sounds ghetto, but toilet bowl brush and tide powder goes a LONG way and works well....

·
WRECKIN' BALL BITCHES!
9,734 Posts
Blue88Coupe said:
I dont know enough to know which one to use. I was going to use the one with the wire and ball setup...
bottle brush (as you mention) is alot better in my experience.

·
Rambling Man
10,985 Posts
Blue88Coupe said:
no machining, new rings, new bearings etc.

Do you know how many miles are on the motor? If you have eggshaped cylinders then you will need to get the cylinders bored and then you might as well have them vat it.

·
Premium Member
33,187 Posts
Good deal.

All that does (dingle hone) is break up the "glaze" in the cylinders so that your new rings will seal. It will work great, assuming your cylinder bores don't have any deep gouges or a lot of wear.

A little 10W-30 motor oil in the bores, moderate speed on the drill, keep it constantly moving up and down so that you get a good pattern on your hone (you're trying to get a 30ish degree difference between the marks going up versus the ones going down)

It's not an exact science, lol.

·
[]D[][]\/[][]D
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
46Tbird said:
Good deal.

All that does (dingle hone) is break up the "glaze" in the cylinders so that your new rings will seal. It will work great, assuming your cylinder bores don't have any deep gouges or a lot of wear.

A little 10W-30 motor oil in the bores, moderate speed on the drill, keep it constantly moving up and down so that you get a good pattern on your hone (you're trying to get a 30ish degree difference between the marks going up versus the ones going down)

It's not an exact science, lol.
awesome, thanks for the advice.

as for the cylinders being egg shaped i was just planning on using a gauge and take various measurements within each cylinder to check that they're not too far out of balance. i dont know how many miles it has on the motor.

·
High Roller
2,082 Posts
If you want it as clean as a vat job spray it down with oven cleaner. We keep several boxes of it around our shop for valve covers and such. Will make as clean as new.

·
WRECKIN' BALL BITCHES!
9,734 Posts
foureyed85309 said:
If you want it as clean as a vat job spray it down with oven cleaner. We keep several boxes of it around our shop for valve covers and such. Will make as clean as new.
another good suggestion. its been awhile since ive had to use any...

·
Mentally Impaired
2,367 Posts
Here is somthing i think is worth knowng for the d it youselfers.. if you get some of that purple degreaser at vato zone or orielly's to clean your parts with. its ok...... BUT if you put a little diesel into the mix like maybe 1 part diesel and fove parts degreaser and leave them to soak overnight WOW what a difference it makes.. push rods, nuts, washers, bolts, all that stff gets clean with no labor at all... just an fyi

·
Mentally Impaired
2,367 Posts
no problem... when you get the $$ and the parts let me know

·
Fear the lawn gnome
4,535 Posts
one thing to remember as well there is a reason shops use tq plates when doing work. If you have the block apart id have the heads on and tq'd down then check the walls in a couple spots.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Heck when I did the re-ring and new bearings I just let my local machine shop do it. They charged me $60 to vat the engine, hone the cylinders, turn the flywheel, and install my cam bearings I took to them. That was just about as cheap as buying the damn honing tool.
They may have cut me a little better deal because they also did the work to my heads at that time. Plus I've been buying parts there for about 15 years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts