DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We built our house in 2001. A few years ago we ripped up all the carpet in the entry, halls, office and living room and put down wood floors.

But believe it or not, we still have the original carpet in the bedrooms and am ready to replace them. My wife is diggin the stained concrete look but I dont know anything about it. Seems easy/cheap... just rip up the carpet and "paint" the floor with a stain...

But im sure there is more to it to make it look nice. Was thinking of attempting it in a small bedroom like my sons first...

looking for tips, thoughts, ideas....

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
We built our house in 2001. A few years ago we ripped up all the carpet in the entry, halls, office and living room and put down wood floors.

But believe it or not, we still have the original carpet in the bedrooms and am ready to replace them. My wife is diggin the stained concrete look but I dont know anything about it. Seems easy/cheap... just rip up the carpet and "paint" the floor with a stain...

But im sure there is more to it to make it look nice. Was thinking of attempting it in a small bedroom like my sons first...

It's a lot easier on "new" concrete. You'll have some tack strip nail holes to deal with, and maybe some bedding material and/or stain. Remember....the concrete you see (stains, cracks, flaws) are what you will see through the stain.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It's an interesting idea for remodeling. Wonder if there's any sort of skim coating that would look good, and not like you put a layer of plaster over the concrete?

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
For starters...don't even think of using the stain at Home Depot or Lowes. Check out Decorative Concrete Supply off of I-35 in Carrollton. They'll have the real good quality stain and can help you determine how many gallons you'll need. They also have the top coat(I don't remember if it's acrylic or polyurathane) that'll give it the deep wet look.

First step is the prep. I used a floor buffer and some water to clean all the crap off the floor. The time needed for this step will depend on how much crap the drywall guys and painters got on your floor when it was built. Don't rush this step because it will determine what the finish product looks like.

If I can make time, I'll post some pics of our game room that I did.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Just pour old used motor oil on it, spread it evenly and let it sit. Not only will it be stained but it will repel water as well...

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts

there are a lot of step by step how to videos on youtube. i have watched a few because i am going to do mine very soon.

·
Registered
549 Posts
after doing some image searches I stand corrected... but i doubt 99% of people on this board would be able to do that good of a job. Unless you've done it before (more than a few time) and are pretty artistic, I think it will come out less than what you're looking for.

best of luck to you if you tackle the job!

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
after doing some image searches I stand corrected... but i doubt 99% of people on this board would be able to do that good of a job. Unless you've done it before (more than a few time) and are pretty artistic, I think it will come out less than what you're looking for.

best of luck to you if you tackle the job!
It's not an easy task, if done correctly. I've learned that people have different standards. I've only done it on new concrete that was protected from day one. Those came out great. The two I've seen done on older floors don't come close in quality.

·
I'm a GIRL.
2,453 Posts
I have them all through My House and while I love the floors they are a pain in the butt. The people who had this house before we did didn't maintain the house anywhere near to My Standards. I've had "wet look" put on it already a couple months ago, but I'd dearly like to have them restained. No one wants to deal with that process, because they say it's a real pain.

·
African Booty Scratcher
13,150 Posts
i'll send over my 3 yr old. that little fucker can stain anything!

god bless.

·
Painting Your House
10,734 Posts
Kameko I believe is how you spell it has a staining system for concrete. Its one of the 1st concrete staining products out there. Look up their website and take a peek around. I have done it a time or two, but I'll tell ya, its quite a process. Might be easier today than it was 15 years ago.

·
Rockin' da fumanchu
7,224 Posts
Kameko I believe is how you spell it has a staining system for concrete. Its one of the 1st concrete staining products out there. Look up their website and take a peek around. I have done it a time or two, but I'll tell ya, its quite a process. Maybe easier today than it was 15 years ago.
Dang stranger, where ya been?

·
Painting Your House
10,734 Posts
Dang stranger, where ya been?
Well my friend. Just very busy and needed the break from the computer. Got your message and totally forgot to ring ya back. Thanks for the call.

I tried the "I'm back" thread, but it was quickly deleted.

·
Rockin' da fumanchu
7,224 Posts
Well my friend. Just very busy and needed the break from the computer. Got your message and totally forgot to ring ya back. Thanks for the call.

I tried the "I'm back" thread, but it was quickly deleted.
Good deal. I was a lil concerned having not seen ya on in quite a while.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
You can get an overlay done for a reasonable price if you don't want to deal with the tack strip holes or any other flaws. I was quoted $3.25/sq ft for an overlay and staining when seeing about having our kitchen done.

·
Registered
3 Posts

looking for tips, thoughts, ideas on polished concrete phoenix....
Has anyone or known of anyone whom has Acid Stained their concrete flooring? We are seriously considering this in our bottom story. From our research it appears this is a very long lasting, rather inexpensive to do flooring; with what appears as beautiful results. We will probadly have to travel all the way to Springfield MO to purchase this stain; unless someone knows of a place it is sold in North Arkansas. We looked at Lowes and Home Depot and they do not carry the Acid Stain just the topical stain.

IF you have done this WHAT are the Do's and Don'ts that we may advoid. And WHAT were your results? Are you pleased with them?

Thanks...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts