DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
RIP
Joined
·
14,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not like getting the damn spring in there was a big enough pain in the ass. But now the top of the spring compressor will not come out no matter how i try to move it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
31,758 Posts
gtownkid said:
Its not like getting the damn spring in there was a big enough pain in the ass. But now the top of the spring compressor will not come out no matter how i try to move it.
you gotta let the a-arm sag big time. those things are a pain in the fuckin' ass, but they'll come out.

Forrest
 

·
RIP
Joined
·
14,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cooter said:
you gotta let the a-arm sag big time. those things are a pain in the fuckin' ass, but they'll come out.

Forrest
there is nothing holding the a arm from going down thats as far as it will go
 

·
aggie97's protege'
Joined
·
2,545 Posts
you'll prolly have to take the spring back out .,.,., and reposition the compreser
 

·
RIP
Joined
·
14,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheezebandit said:
you'll prolly have to take the spring back out .,.,., and reposition the compreser
that would be a great idea let me go ahead and try it really quick :rolleyes: i can put that thing in a ton of different positions but the fact is that it wont come out between the coils or the bottow repositioning it would not make a damn bit of difference
 

·
RIP
Joined
·
14,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cooter said:
looks like the strut is attatched... if so, that ain't as far as it'll go!! LOL!
well the problem i see is, when i try to jack up the a arm right now the whole car goes up so if i let it down i might not be able to get it back up again. would it be easier to let it down from the top or bottom?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
dont use the spring compressor, take it all off, take the strut loose from the spindle and let it hang, put the spring in, make sure its on the purches and use a floor jach to jack up the spindle until it lines up with the bolt holes for the strut, have done this many times without any trouble....just my 2 cents!
 

·
Merry HoHo
Joined
·
32,791 Posts
gtownkid said:
well the problem i see is, when i try to jack up the a arm right now the whole car goes up so if i let it down i might not be able to get it back up again. would it be easier to let it down from the top or bottom?

put a strap from the front axle on the jack to the Kmember.
 

·
RIP
Joined
·
14,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Junk Racing said:
dont use the spring compressor, take it all off, take the strut loose from the spindle and let it hang, put the spring in, make sure its on the purches and use a floor jach to jack up the spindle until it lines up with the bolt holes for the strut, have done this many times without any trouble....just my 2 cents!
i guess you have never done a set of eibach drag launch springs or you would know that its not that simple
 

·
RIP
Joined
·
14,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
brb going to try what forrest said
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
When I put lowering springs, none of the spring compressors worked, so I unbolted the a-arm, positioned everything how I wanted it, and then used a floor jack to lift/compress the spring and a-arm until you could bolt it all up again. There's only two bolts holding the a-arms on.... just an idea. Good luck!
Another idea would be to get coilovers (haha).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
i have done about 15 sets....and i do it this way everytime....ask F.B.racing we used too do alot of peoples work off here
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
Xcountry80 said:
When I put lowering springs, none of the spring compressors worked, so I unbolted the a-arm, positioned everything how I wanted it, and then used a floor jack to lift/compress the spring and a-arm until you could bolt it all up again. There's only two bolts holding the a-arms on.... just an idea. Good luck!
Another idea would be to get coilovers (haha).

That is how I did mine. I left the front all bolted up, spindle strut etc. and then just unbolted the back of the a arms.

Bob
 

·
RIP
Joined
·
14,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanx everyone for the suggestions but forrest idea worked, i just unbolted the strut from the tower and let the a arm down until i was able to get it out the only difficult part was me trying to get the strut hooked back up. I could get the strut to be flush with the top of the tower and when i put pressure on the fender it would raise up a little so i got a little help from one of my cast iron heads to add a little more weight so i could get the bolt out enough to put on the nut
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top