DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
PVC Racing
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan on putting on a S-trim on my 302 over the christmas hoidays and was wondering how much boost will a stock 302 hold up. The motor is out of a 98 Explorer with around 20,000 miles on it.

The rest of the mods will include, Cobra intake, TFS track heats, 42lb injectors, 255lph fuel, T-rex, no FMU. No AC or smog. Cam is still undecied right now, I might just stic with the E303 I have.

So how much will it hold up to without it taking a s#$t. Alo do yall think I will need a main girdle? I think i wll buy one anyway just for saftey

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Brandon

·
I didn't do it
3,804 Posts
I know Andrew was pushing 615rwhp on a stock block. If I recall correctly he cracked the block and built an A4 motor. As far as his boost, I want to say it was around 15 psi. However I could be wrong.

·
Im somebody's daddy!
14,602 Posts
I would ad a good SFI balancer to that also. Keep the revs below 6000 also.

If you have a GOOD cooling system, you might want to throw a little hardblock in there along with the girdle.

I wouldnt worry too much about boost. Just keep it 500 rwhp or below and you should be safe if you have a handle on the tune. Dont rattle it and run good gas.

·
OLD SCHOOL crew
11,619 Posts
would the pistons in a 98 explorer be an issue? What did they use? I could see Ford going cheap and using some real junk in an explorer.

·
Premium Member
16,774 Posts
andrew never broke the stock motor, he blew a head gasket, so went ahead and threw the new motor in.

It is all luck though.

92greenmonster broke his block in half with 450 hp.

So it is all relative, and luck.

·
PVC Racing
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HobbieF3- yea I hve wonder that my self. Not for sure on what pistons they used on them. This motor hasn't been tore apart.

Sneaky- I don't want to sound stupid, but what is a an EGT Meter?

I do have a EEC turner tat I will be albe to put on it, but that will take some time to getting use to.

The car will not be a daily driver, I have another one for that. I think I will have enough fuel for whatever the S-trim can push. For now I'm using stock fuel lines and rails, but I think it will hold up to the S-trim.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I believe they use hypereutectic pistons. That will be a big issue. An EGT is an exhaust gas temperature meter. This will tell you if the engie is running too rich or lean. Not quite as good as a wideband but better than nothing.

·
Resident Pinstriper
5,190 Posts
Boost+Hyperpathetic Pistons=A whole lotta mess !! Make sure you put a really good tune on it. Always remember, fat is better than lean !!

-Aaron

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
hypereutectic pistons

Nothing wrong with hypereutectic pistons (wouldnt be 1st choice though) as long as they dont see any detonation.

·
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE
4,427 Posts
EGT meters

I saw one at frys, about any meter that will read up to 1700F and has a peak hold will work. think mine are for type K thermocouples

·
PVC Racing
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: hypereutectic pistons

Five Point Slow said:
Nothing wrong with hypereutectic pistons (wouldnt be 1st choice though) as long as they dont see any detonation.
Thats the first postive thing someone has said about these pistons:D . Well it might not be postive, but you didn't say they were junk;)

The reason for starting this thread, I was told that the stock block would only hold up to 6 psi or 8 psi with a girdle. I jus didn't think this was right. I figure it would do alright with more boost, but I know i wouldn't last forever.:D

Brandon

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Re: Re: hypereutectic pistons

The BLOCK should be fine, now as for the other componets, time will only tell..

Just MAKE sure you get it dialed in BEFORE (EVEN 1 TIME) You start to lay into the throttle with boost. Looks like you're going to have a good amount of fuel for the boost levels (Horsepower) youre looking for (10 psi or so)

The pistons dont suck, its the people that dont know how to tune their car is what makes them suck. Of course they dont take as much abuse as a Forged piston would take (they can withold more detonation without failure) .

I dont see A Problem with running 10 PSI, your fuel setup, and conservative timing. Sure it wont last forever but itll last longer than some dumbass without the proper setup on forged pistons (not enough fuel, too much timing, HEAT)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts