Should I get

Hoosier Drag Slicks:
26x8x15
26x9
26x10

or
28x9x15

How do you choose?

Lane, Mike, Chris, ARH and the smart Ford owners chime in.

·
The Fastest of the Fast
8,014 Posts
Depends on gearing, tranny, power, all that shit. You gonna run nitrous? Bigger the tire, heavier the tire, more traction. I would stick with a 26x10 if you are running on motor, 28 if you are running on bottle. I run 28s on motor in the green car but my gearing and tranny are diff from yours...

·
IA2
22,150 Posts
You have to match the tire to the kind of power you are putting down. Too much tire simply slows down the car if you don't have the power to pull it. Not enough tire/too much power slows down the car because you are spinning. Also, if the track you run at has poor prep more tire will help you hook up.

I put the biggest slicks I could physically get under my car (well, mostly under) without having to cut sheet metal because my car has so much low-end torque. I have no traction issues :).

I read somewhere that increasing the diameter of the tire puts down more rubber than increasing the width of the tire. So it follows that a 28' tire has a bigger footprint than a 26' tire, but it's harder to accelerate due to the larger diameter.

It's all about trade offs.

·
If the shoe fits......
4,109 Posts
Do this. First off, you know how much power you have from dynoing the car. IF you know your weight, then you can figure out your potential et and mph in the quarter by using the available online calculators. I would use www.smokemup.com . then with your 3.73 and your rpm limit (ie shift point or what ever rpm you decided you want to be at in the lights) use another calculator to determine which diameter tire will get you there using the mph the other calculator gave you.

Lets say you have 380rwhp and your car weighs 3400 with you in it. that would give a quesimated [email protected], which means with 3.73s you would be at ~5800rpms with a 26" tall tire.

Just play with the different calculators and use them together until you get the mph at the rpm you desire at the end of the quarter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.