DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I gots famous friends
9,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you paint some of it before putting it in? Then finish it off around the weld areas?

If you painted the whole thing in the car, did you mask off the entire car inside in out to prevent overspray?

What kind of paint did you use?

Did you clear coat it afterwards?

I want to paint mine a gray metal flake then put some clear coat over it, just trying to figure out what is the best approach.

·
Turbobrooks
16,252 Posts
IMO I wouldn't bother too much with the clearcoat and all... you WILL scratch it up at the door bar area getting in/out and especially if the 5 point harness hits it.

I painted mine in the car, masking it inside and out. I used primer and followed up with some black enamel.

93LXHORSE said:
Did you paint some of it before putting it in? Then finish it off around the weld areas?

If you painted the whole thing in the car, did you mask off the entire car inside in out to prevent overspray?

What kind of paint did you use?

Did you clear coat it afterwards?

I want to paint mine a gray metal flake then put some clear coat over it, just trying to figure out what is the best approach.

·
Keep your unicorns
12,421 Posts
I painted mine after it was installed. I also only used black primer/rust inhibitor from Wal-mart since I knew it would get scratched to heck, that and it matched my grey leather interior perfectly.

·
Premium Member
6,783 Posts
I painted mine mine before it went. It is a MM that is already put together ecept for the door bars (bolt ins) and I painted it with frod gray engine paint. It matches the inter really good.

G

·
I'm painting mine as soon as I get it back to match the exterior paint color. I think the forest green will go well with all black interior. I plan to use a sandable primer and single stage paint with single stage clear for the fact that it's cheaper and I still have some leftover. It's easier to touch-up single stage paint than it is for 2-stage.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
If you want a good quality durable job have it powder coated back (after some minor test fits of some pieces) and sand off the powdercoat in the weld areas. Then touch up those areas with a close matching black paint. Scratched up cages look terrible.

Could also paint and then cover parts of it in a material that matches the interior color. That looks real sharp.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
I am going to paint mine after installation. I am going to paint the whole car about the same time so I won't have much masking to do :D.

Bob

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
I had mine powdercoated, the grinding off the mounting plates when I had it welded into the car.

·
I gots famous friends
9,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Carrie said:
Chris, I told you what to use fool!

<--- bsharer
My cage is painted better than some cars on here!
Yeah I know... and that's the best one so far.... just remind me what it was again when I get ready to do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts