DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess UT is favored by 14? Sounds a little high to me, but I'm not really a gambling man. Eddie George on ESPN, picked the Husker's for an upset in this one. Anybody?

·
Fear the Stashe
3,227 Posts
I guess UT is favored by 14? Sounds a little high to me, but I'm not really a gambling man. Eddie George on ESPN, picked the Husker's for an upset in this one. Anybody?
UT by 17+ or UT wins by a FG..

If UT wins the toss they need to get the ball first and put pressure on Neb.to score. That offense is TURRIBLE.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Texas will win. Don't know by how much, but Colt will pull it off. Colt needs to watch out for number 93 though, he's a freakin monster.

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UT by 17+ or UT wins by a FG..

If UT wins the toss they need to get the ball first and put pressure on Neb.to score. That offense is TURRIBLE.
Traditionally, Mack Brown gives up the ball on the toss. Don't know why, but he's pretty consistant on that.

·
wassup gangstas?
2,902 Posts
he gives it up because he has a top notch defense and wants to score at the end of the half. i see it being close the first half but ut winning by 17+ pulling away in the 2nd half.

·
Dyno Racing King!!!
3,675 Posts
Traditionally, Mack Brown gives up the ball on the toss. Don't know why, but he's pretty consistant on that.
Coaches usually do this for 2 reasons. First, they have supreme confidence in their defense. The second revolves around halftime. Ideally they'd like to score right before halftime and then come out and score again on the opening drive. That's a dagger for other teams. The other side of that is that if trailing, the offense gets a chance to review/change at halftime and then come out to set the tone for the second half right away.

I've always wondered why all coaches didn't do this.

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coaches usually do this for 2 reasons. First, they have supreme confidence in their defense. The second revolves around halftime. Ideally they'd like to score right before halftime and then come out and score again on the opening drive. That's a dagger for other teams. The other side of that is that if trailing, the offense gets a chance to review/change at halftime and then come out to set the tone for the second half right away.

I've always wondered why all coaches didn't do this.
I've always felt like Brown likes to have the ball after half time. It seems like UT scores right before the half, then gets the ball again at the onset of the second half. It does seem VERY effective, at least for UT.

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
38-17 horns
I'd take it right now, and not even play the game. :wink:

This has the potential to be another UT/OSU game. OSU was supposed to be pretty tough, with Robinson only throwing 3 INT's all season. He threw 4 that day against UT...

·
Resident Misanthrope
9,690 Posts
While I wish Nebraska could pull off the miracle, I don't even think a miracle would help them. I wouldn't be one bit shocked if UT blanked Nebraska on this one. One game away from a chance to reach redemption from last year? A weak ass Nebraska offense? While it will eat at me if UT wins a National Championship, I will applaud the fact that they took care of business this year. I don't think Nebraska will be any competition for them and a line of 14 is low.

·
Genetically Blessed
13,733 Posts
While I wish Nebraska could pull off the miracle, I don't even think a miracle would help them. I wouldn't be one bit shocked if UT blanked Nebraska on this one. One game away from a chance to reach redemption from last year? A weak ass Nebraska offense? While it will eat at me if UT wins a National Championship, I will applaud the fact that they took care of business this year. I don't think Nebraska will be any competition for them and a line of 14 is low.
I hope you're right.

·
wassup gangstas?
2,902 Posts
I've always felt like Brown likes to have the ball after half time. It seems like UT scores right before the half, then gets the ball again at the onset of the second half. It does seem VERY effective, at least for UT.
it helps that the past several years horns have been a supurb second half team too.

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
While I'm pretty sure UT will handle Nebraska, they will be the under-dog regardless of who they meet. The Big 12 has gotten very little credit this year, just as they have for several years. Maybe Florida and 'Bama are both better than Texas, but I would like to see the proof.

As far as non-UT fans not wanting to see them win, I still think it would bring some validity to the Big 12 as a whole. I felt like OU was going to win last year, and it would have given UT a little more credence.

·
Pushed to the limit
4,510 Posts
While I'm pretty sure UT will handle Nebraska, they will be the under-dog regardless of who they meet. The Big 12 has gotten very little credit this year, just as they have for several years. Maybe Florida and 'Bama are both better than Texas, but I would like to see the proof.

As far as non-UT fans not wanting to see them win, I still think it would bring some validity to the Big 12 as a whole. I felt like OU was going to win last year, and it would have given UT a little more credence.
Everyone thought USC was better than Texas back in 2005. Even USC thought they were better. Matt Leinart continued to think USC was better even after the game was over.

Florida and Bama may be better than Texas in a lot of publications and on a lot of talk shows but like you said, they will need to prove it just like Texas will have to prove that they are better than Nebraska.

·
The Decent Guy
8,081 Posts
38-17 horns
I agree but doubt neb scores more than 10 unless special teams or D scores. I think UT holds to FG until 4th qtr and the back ups play.

·
Resident Misanthrope
9,690 Posts

The Big 12 has gotten little credit because it deserves little credit. I think this year is the worst year this conference as whole has had. Not only that, but every team is so damn inconsistent except for Texas...but even with them, early on their play was very, very inconsistent.

You would think UT haters would want them to win, but I would be the majority of OU and Aggie fans only wish defeat on them. That is whey they are bitter rivals. I know other Sooner fans feel differently than I do, but I don't want to see Texas win a championship, ever, but it is pretty obvious I am a cold heartless bastard.

·
T-MINUS
28,539 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree but doubt neb scores more than 10 unless special teams or D scores. I think UT holds to FG until 4th qtr and the back ups play.
Nebraska needs to be VERY motivated. Winning the Big 12 can be a motivating factor, but UT will be really focused on this game, and I'm fairly certain that the defense will be more effective than they were with A&M.

1 - 20 of 227 Posts