DFW Mustang Forums banner

home window tinting?

284 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Shoot To Kill
i have been tossig around this idea for a while. the rear of my house is all windows (13 large ones to be exact) and they face the setting sun. i've been told that its not good for the double (pained, payned) windows like we have. anyone know anything about this? i am gonna try to get this done this week if possible.

god bless.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
You would be better off getting solar screens. They can be pulled off in the winter to allow the sun to warm your home..
You would be better off getting solar screens. They can be pulled off in the winter to allow the sun to warm your home..
Same thing I was going to suggest.
What's not good for the double pane windows? The tint or the sitting sun?? If it's light you are wanting to block out than tinting the windows is a cheap option you can do that is not permanent. I did that in my sun room with a few windows (single pane) and it helps control how bright it can get in there and also helps some with the heat. One thing about tinting windows is that it makes harder to see out of at night if that might be a concern for you.
I'd say solar screens too, it made a HUGE difference in our old house.

However, it makes it harder to see out of at night as well.
You have to be careful what you put on double-paned windows.

http://sun-gard.com/documents/L955430 Flatglass film compat_USA_web.pdf
Still doesn't tell me why it's "bad" to tint a double pane window :confused:
Still doesn't tell me why it's "bad" to tint a double pane window :confused:
I think its because the tint is installed on the inside of the house, and reflects all the heat back inside the air space between the two panes. So this air gap gets much hotter, expands & can potentially cause one of the panes to crack.

I suppose it would be ideal to have the tint installed on the inside of the outside pane of glass, rather than the inside of the inside.
i got this guy coming to give me an estimate tomorrow. he said the tint on the double windows is a myth. and he and 3m guarantee that the tint doesnt harm the window.

www.hometint.com

god bless.
i got this guy coming to give me an estimate tomorrow. he said the tint on the double windows is a myth. and he and 3m guarantee that the tint doesnt harm the window.

www.hometint.com

god bless.
Get it in writing, just in case.
aluminium motherfucking foil bitch!
Get it in writing, just in case.
no doubt, i had solar screens on our old house. i didnt really like the look, and didnt really notice any savings on the E bill. plus i cannot get screens now, as i had a big patio cover built, and now they cant get to the upstairs windows. :lame: wtf ??? if thats what i did for a living i assure you i could measure those windows from the inside and find a way to get them up there.

god bless.
no doubt, i had solar screens on our old house. i didnt really like the look, and didnt really notice any savings on the E bill. plus i cannot get screens now, as i had a big patio cover built, and now they cant get to the upstairs windows. :lame: wtf ??? if thats what i did for a living i assure you i could measure those windows from the inside and find a way to get them up there.

god bless.

Solar screens are easy as shit to make. I've done them before. I can make them, and you can climb your monkey ass up there to put them on.
let us know how it goes. I am interested in doing the same thing. My last house had solar screens and it looks like ass. My new house has brand new double-pane windows and I want to tint them.
You might give Teck's Window Tint a call. He is a very nice guy. He specializes in home window tinting. I had him put home quality tint on my 5th wheel travel trailer a while back. He did a great job and even did it on the weekend for me since I was taking a trip that Monday. He is located in Arlington but does jobs all over the metroplex.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.