DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
duh...duh....duh
9,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
So I've always used guns with iron sights and never thought much about a scope. (military and other stuff)

A few years ago I bought a Mossburg 30.06 with a scope. All pretty cheap but I thought I was golden.

I noticed at the store that I had to have my eye at just the right distance for a full view through the scope, but being the idiot I am - I thought that was adjustable. :D

Fast forward to now, this scope has me really pissed off sinice I can't hold the gun in a comfy position and it makes it more difficult to fire straight and with tight groups. (Also, the gun has no iron sites)

I want to spend 50-100 dollars on a new scope. I only hunt with this rifle in the NE, which is heavily wooded. 50-100 yards is what the shot probably will be, but 200 yards at the absolute most.

Some friends indicate that I might as well not even bother for less then 250 dollars. This seems a bit...excessive for basic scope functionality.

1. Am I actually expecting too much for 50-100 dollars?
2. What do you look for in a scope when buying one?
3. Any general tips?

Again, I know nothing about scopes - other then basic magnification levels and such. I wanted to take input from here and apply it to my research. Input is appreciated.

Take care,

·
Old Timer
4,027 Posts
Greetings,
So I've always used guns with iron sights and never thought much about a scope. (military and other stuff)

A few years ago I bought a Mossburg 30.06 with a scope. All pretty cheap but I thought I was golden.

I noticed at the store that I had to have my eye at just the right distance for a full view through the scope, but being the idiot I am - I thought that was adjustable. :D

Fast forward to now, this scope has me really pissed off sinice I can't hold the gun in a comfy position and it makes it more difficult to fire straight and with tight groups. (Also, the gun has no iron sites)

I want to spend 50-100 dollars on a new scope. I only hunt with this rifle in the NE, which is heavily wooded. 50-100 yards is what the shot probably will be, but 200 yards at the absolute most.

Some friends indicate that I might as well not even bother for less then 250 dollars. This seems a bit...excessive for basic scope functionality.

1. Am I actually expecting too much for 50-100 dollars?
2. What do you look for in a scope when buying one?
3. Any general tips?

Again, I know nothing about scopes - other then basic magnification levels and such. I wanted to take input from here and apply it to my research. Input is appreciated.

Take care,
Well 50-100 dollar for a scope isn't that great. (You'll want one thats clear to look through, that has at least 3x-9 magnification and that can handle the shock of your rifle.)

However if that is your budget, try looking at Bass Pro or Cabela's when they have a optics sale.

For a "Cheap Scope", I'd recommed that you get a BSA Deer Hunter 3x-9 Scope.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0

In all honesty, you'll be much happier with a more expensive scope, like a Nikon. However I've had a BSA deer hunter scope on my mini-14 for YEARS and it works fantastic for up to 100 yards.

·
duh...duh....duh
9,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, 50 bucks ain't bad. I suppose I'll understand when comparing them but I had hoped that what you listed would be basics and 50-100 would cover it. :)

I get what you're saying for sure though. That's why I'm asking, I won't go cheap if it truly makes a difference. My main concern is getting the whole scope view and it being clear.

After googling some examples of a good scope, I at least know my scope is about worthless other then for spotting at the range or something. hah

·
Old Timer
4,027 Posts
Thanks for the info, 50 bucks ain't bad. I suppose I'll understand when comparing them but I had hoped that what you listed would be basics and 50-100 would cover it. :)

I get what you're saying for sure though. That's why I'm asking, I won't go cheap if it truly makes a difference. My main concern is getting the whole scope view and it being clear.

After googling some examples of a good scope, I at least know my scope is about worthless other then for spotting at the range or something. hah
For 50-100 bucks, you're really not going to get a bunch of bells and whistles on a scope. I just though I would list you a scope that was within your price range that gets decent reviews.

For some reason that BSA scope gets good reviews (thats why I bought it a long time ago).

But if you want a breakdown on what to look for on a scope:

1. Optics, You want it CLEAR.
2. Recticles - If you can get them adjustable for range, get it... Probably not within the price range.
3. Magnification - You want it to be able to variable from 3x-9 or 4x-12
4. Depending on your height of your scope rings, you probably want it to be 40mm front lense... (That will fit most scopes without hitting the barrel). If your rings are a little higher, you'll probably be better off with a 50mm lense.
5. If you are putting a scope on a semi-auto rifle, make sure its VERY DURABLE. The bolt slamming forward usually kills scopes.

After buying cheap scopes for years, I only buy Nikon Scopes now. (They are great bang for the buck and have high quality features on them, although they are generally 300+ dollars)

·
Old Timer
4,027 Posts
Also you may have to put a cheek pad on the rifle. One that will allow you to put your face on the rifle comfortably and see down the scope tube. By having the proper cheek weld on the rifle, your groups will be tighter. Also remember practice breathing control and shooting the rifle with the TIP of your finger, not wrapping it around the trigger.

·
duh...duh....duh
9,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This scope is going on a simple bolt action. Your posts are helpful. At a minimum I may buy a BSA to get me through until I can swing a higher end scope, then use the BSA on something else.

Thanks again though. I at least have a starting point now.

·
duh...duh....duh
9,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also you may have to put a cheek pad on the rifle. One that will allow you to put your face on the rifle comfortably and see down the scope tube. By having the proper cheek weld on the rifle, your groups will be tighter. Also remember practice breathing control and shooting the rifle with the TIP of your finger, not wrapping it around the trigger.
Yup, remember all that stuff for basic. The problem is for me to get the rifle on my shoulder right - my head/eyes are in a place where the scope only provides a small like peephole. I have to pull it in even farther and move my head up for the scope to provide a big enough view for me to see through it.

Plus, what I'm really worried about is when a deer is moving not being able to track it fast enough since I have to be in just the right spot to see through the scope. Do I make any sense?

Take care

·
Pitchin and flippin
5,552 Posts
I know some people that have been able to drop moving deer but me personaly I have had two bad experiances with trying to do that. I ended up with both of them but didn't place the shot well and they ran for a while and suffered longer than I would have liked.
I won't do it anymore and will just wait for a good clean shot.

·
duh...duh....duh
9,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know some people that have been able to drop moving deer but me personaly I have had two bad experiances with trying to do that. I ended up with both of them but didn't place the shot well and they ran for a while and suffered longer than I would have liked.
I won't do it anymore and will just wait for a good clean shot.
Well, let me clarify. If they are in full gallop I won't stand a chance good scope or not. I don't think at least.

The last 2 times each time I popped up from my spot they stopped to look at me. Each time...

-The scope was a bitch to get on them due to the little ivew finder type problem.
-The deer was either not a elligible buck or it was a doe and I did not have a doe license.

However! Had they been good buck and my scope was a little nicer I would've had a chance at a clean shot before they took off again.

Besides, for the purpose of a scope it would be easier to scope out targets to without moving so much with one that let me use the rifle in a more natural position. At least, that's what I think.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You really aren't going to get much for $50-$100, but if you up your thinking to $150-$200, you can get a quality optic that should handle everything you are trying to accomplish...Nikon has a reasonably priced pro-staff series for under $150, or you could still stay under $200 with a buckmaster series, I have used both and for the $$$ are good quality...

·
Registered
377 Posts
It sounds like your scope and stock are not adjusted correctly for your face.

Try a couple of things...

1. Shoulder the rifle so it fits right and get a good cheekweld. Have somebody observe your line of sight.
2. Your eye needs to be EXACTLY in the center of the scope. If you are looking up into the scope (or looking down), you won't get a good sight picture.
3. If you are looking down, try a taller set of rings.
4. If you are looking up (the most common problem) then try raising your cheek. For test fitting I cut a mouse pad up into thirds and wrap it around the the stock where my cheek rests. Masking tape will hold it in place. Add a second or sometimes even a third layer if necessary. If this works, buy an adjustable cheek rest. (about $35)
5. Vertical alignment HAS to be correct FIRST.
6. Once vertical alignment is correct, move your head forward and back. If this clears up the sight picture, loosen your rings just a little and slide your scope forwards or back. If you can't, ditch the scope and buy one with adjustable eye relief.
7. Be very careful not get the scope TOO close to your eye. Having your eyebrow cut open from the scope recoil hurts. :blackeye:

Personally I would not buy a BSA scope, I have never seen one that would stand up to the recoil of a high powered rifle. You would sight them in and then 50 rounds later, they drift off.

·
duh...duh....duh
9,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'm going to try playing with scope positioning - which I think with this scope is a worthless effort. (It is a Mossberg brand scope) I recently was checking out a buddy's rifle with a "cheap" (sub 100) scope and it was awesome compared to mine. :)

Anyway, I'll be at the range tomorrow trying to make this one work - but after that it is being put aside in favor of a new scope. (for this purpose, the BSA just may work buy I'll check them all out)

I appreciate all the help and feedback. Helped me out quite a bit.

Take care,

·
Registered
726 Posts
if you get less than a Nikon Pro Staff you are throwing away your money. It's just a matter of time when the scope will fail especially on the 30.06

·
User may be editing post.
12,013 Posts
Well sounds like you learned the lesson a lot of us have learned about trying to go cheap on optics. Until you throw down for a reputable scope, it usually ends like this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well sounds like you learned the lesson a lot of us have learned about trying to go cheap on optics. Until you throw down for a reputable scope, it usually ends like this.
+1

I have given my kids 'more $100 scopes' then I know what to do with. The only one I kept was an NCStar 3x9 with illuminated reticle, and even with that, I would say 100-yards max. Cost $110 bucks at the gun show, and it was a spur of the moment purchase. Do yourself a favor, and save up for something decent. Hell, if you threw $20-bucks in an envelope for the next 6-months, you would have nearly $500 to work with.

·
GROWED UP WRONG
7,413 Posts
I agree 100% with JESmith. They brought back a cheap scope with a well known old school name to ride the coat tails of.
I would go with a Nikon over the Redfield, but if you did decide to go with that one I would not get the accu-range recticle, too much shit going on....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts