DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 GT that I bypassed the heater core on a couple of years ago and man I'm freezing now. I didn't really need it before, because I didn't have to commute very far now I have to drive from Grapevine to Dallas every day. My question is do I have to crack the ac system to get to the heater core? The Haynes manual says something about needing to crack the ac system. Any thoughts on how I can do this to avoid messing with the ac? I just did a 134 conversion and don't really want to mess with it again.

Thanks
Chris

·
Foxaholic
7,351 Posts
You don't have to do anything with the A/C system.

Here are your options...
1. Take out the dash and make it foolproof.
2. Cut the heater box open and seal it back after replacing the core.
3. Prop up the dashboard and make your life a living hell for 8-10 hours doing a job that wasn't designed to be done that way.

You could pay someone, but I don't like throwing away $100 or more for something that anyone could do. I prefer option 1 only because I don't like to hack away at my heater box with a Dremel.

·
Premium Member
6,783 Posts
i did one on a 96 last weekend, the chic paid me 150 to do it and it only took me three hours (with no air tools)

·
Gunga galunga
7,544 Posts
Mine is still leaking but most of it is running through the drain hole through the firewall...Oh well once it warms up I'll just bypass it...:)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the pic and the help. I don't know why the Hayne's manual has this big warning above the heater core replacement instructions that warns you about the dangers of cracking your a/c system. Need a Chilton's.......

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,783 Posts
johnnys50 stang said:
Lee how much you charge to do my vert with a/c disconnected ?i have the heater core just too cold to do it
the only thing that lee did was help set the dash in place, it was just to heavy for me to put back by myself

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
But a Ford heater core. You don't want to chance it with an aftermarket one that may have plastic parts as some do. I would not want to do the job twice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts