DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm getting some new heads, and i was just wondering what can i do to prepare for the swap?

I was gonna start taking everything off, the car now, so i can clean anything that i have too...I don't have a job, so its not like i don;t have the time.....Anyways, if anyone knows anyways to make this as easy as possible it would be nice...

Cause this is the first time that i'll be doing this, and i really would have to do it a second time...:D

·
Foxaholic
6,822 Posts
Head swap

No job and new heads... Hmmm, I must be doing something wrong.
:D

Here is a list of the things that you will need to be able to do. In order (sort of).
1. Drain the coolant
2. Pull the upper intake
3. Pull the distributor (at Top Dead Center)
4. Disconnect the fuel rails from the lines
5. Unplug the entire harness that goes to the injectors etc...
6. Remove the lower intake
7. Remove the belt
8. Remove the accessories that bolt into the cylinder heads including the EGR tubes on the back of the heads
9. Remove the valve covers
10. Remove the headers or unbolt them
11. Swap the heads

Make sure that you have new gaskets, Ultra-Black RTV, new head bolts, new coolant, new plugs, correct pushrods and a book that lists all of the torque specs. You can get a head start by going down the list and getting it out of the way. I don't now how long you can let it sit as a short block exposed to the elements, but you can at least get the upper and lower off and the accessories.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hehe, well i get hired the 31st of this month and start the 1st of Jan at Padre Ford, in the parts Dep. So i mean i kinda just waiting..hehe

Anyways thanks for the tips and everything else...:D

·
Premium Member
31,877 Posts
Sounds like a good opportunity to get that engine bay nice and clean. Clean everything you can while the intake heads and harness are outta there. If you've got a die grinder, get wire wheel and scrub any metal you can get too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually my engine bay is pretty clean....But yeah i'll be sure to do that, thanks again for the advice...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure dude, if you live close or don't mind a drive....I don't have to Heads yet but if you have a number i can call you and let you know when i get them, and you can stop by and help me out, that would be great.....

You do know that i'm in CC right? eheh, just want to make sure...
Email me at [email protected]

Laters:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.