DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
than the satellite.

I am trying to figure this out. I am almost certain the regular HD rabbit ears has a better picture. I was comparing channel 5 on the satellite to the channell 5 on the antennae and it has a completely different color tint, and seems crisper. I am running an hdmi cable from the satellite box, so I don't get it.

Any ideas?

·
Licking the windows!
3,283 Posts
than the satellite.

I am trying to figure this out. I am almost certain the regular HD rabbit ears has a better picture. I was comparing channel 5 on the satellite to the channell 5 on the antennae and it has a completely different color tint, and seems crisper. I am running an hdmi cable from the satellite box, so I don't get it.

Any ideas?

You are correct... OTA HD will almost always be better looking than that of cable or sat. Reason being, it is wide open bandwidth, no condensing it to fit a packet on a network or a switch, no compression for transmission into space.

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, no matter what service provider, or hdmi cable, the OTA hd will always be better. FTL....

OK, next question, does it make a difference what HDMI cable I use for my blu ray player?

Basically, I am working with a 46' Samsung 1080p, LCD, 60hz tv, and I am starting to be dissatisfied with it.

·
Licking the windows!
3,283 Posts
So, no matter what service provider, or hdmi cable, the OTA hd will always be better. FTL....

OK, next question, does it make a difference what HDMI cable I use for my blu ray player?

Basically, I am working with a 46' Samsung 1080p, LCD, 60hz tv, and I am starting to be dissatisfied with it.
I have never had a problem with the $4 ones from Monoprice.com

DO NOT pay for Monster Cable - a coat hanger does as good of a job as a Monster AV cable.

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, then maybe the tv has issues. Seems to be kind of blochy alot. My dad made the comment the faces look painted on people. Maybe I just need to mess with the settings.

·
Licking the windows!
3,283 Posts
Well, then maybe the tv has issues. Seems to be kind of blochy alot. My dad made the comment the faces look painted on people. Maybe I just need to mess with the settings.
Go to AVSforums and pop in your model number and see if someone has posted the correct settings for the video, that could help.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
My HD channels looks awesome over DISH. I also have all my equipment hooked up via HDMI 1.3a cabling.

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it is 1.3a but dont hold me to that
I am not sure which cable I have. It is a monster cable I bought with the tv 2 years ago. I have looked at the cable in the past and haven't found any markings. Anyway to find out which one it is?

what tv and what satellite do you have?
I have the LN-4695D Samsung, and the Satellite is Dishnetwork Turbo. The installers had to upgrade the wiring in the house to a newer version, from what I was told at install. And since I didn't get charged for that, I am assuming that is not BS.

My HD channels looks awesome over DISH. I also have all my equipment hooked up via HDMI 1.3a cabling.
I almost have to say Time Warners feed looked crisper and I hate time warner. I had it in Mesquite, and the service they provided sucked.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Compression, compression, compression.

Cable and Satellite providers compress their signals to fit more channels in their limited bandwidth. On the other hand, the signal you get over the air from your local station is almost always uncompressed, so you end up with a richer, more dynamic picture (in most cases).

Think of if as listening to music from a CD vs. an MP3.

·
Formerly 5.0Vert
9,823 Posts
Compression, compression, compression.

Cable and Satellite providers compress their signals to fit more channels in their limited bandwidth. On the other hand, the signal you get over the air from your local station is almost always uncompressed, so you end up with a richer, more dynamic picture (in most cases).

Think of if as listening to music from a CD vs. an MP3.
This guy explained it the best. When you watch HD via antenna the image hasn't been compressed by the station, when you watch HD via satellite or cable, they have to compress it because they have a limited amount of bandwidth to work with. For example:

AT&T Uverse only has the capacity for 25 mbps to come into your home, out of that 18 mbps are for the internet/phone, and only 7 mbps are left for all of your HD/SD channels.

I use to sell Fios and I would have it in a heartbeat if I didn't live in an AT&T area, so I've got Charter. Charter actually changed things up a while back and compressed the shit out of my speedvision:(. It looks like crap, I almost wish I was paying for the HD service, but I don't care about it that much.

When it comes down to it, its all about the bandwitch and how much compression they will have to do to get everything to fit.

·
Crackalack!
7,663 Posts
What are you guys using for an OTA antenna? I've seen some of the attic installed big ones. What options other than rabbit ears or some giant thing you have to rig up on a pole on the side of your house? Sorry, it's been a while since I even considered an OTA antenna.

·
dead
14,611 Posts
What are you guys using for an OTA antenna? I've seen some of the attic installed big ones. What options other than rabbit ears or some giant thing you have to rig up on a pole on the side of your house? Sorry, it's been a while since I even considered an OTA antenna.
there is a powered bar style antenna that works fairly well. you can put that in the attic or under the eve of your house.

i still prefer the 10ft fish bone in an attic if you have the means. cheap and best results especially the further you live away from dallas.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have never had a problem with the $4 ones from Monoprice.com

DO NOT pay for Monster Cable - a coat hanger does as good of a job as a Monster AV cable.
Actually if you know what you are talking about you would know that the Monster cable is superior because it blocks outside interference to the signal over long runs.

Monster cable is not needed if your TV is on top of your dvd player or whatever but if you have a couple foot run I would definitely use monster.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.