DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys,

I was just looking at my engine as it was running and noticed that the harmonic balancer was wobbling (not very bad, but noticable). I don't know exactly how many things this can mean.

Please give me all the various scenarios that you can. This is out of my 180k mile 5.0, i'm trying to get a new engine together but I wasn't thinking that I will be able to finish it until summer, am I going to have to hurry up?

Thanks guys,
Jerred
 

·
heavy weight
Joined
·
267 Posts
with that many miles the adheasive that holds the balancer together deteriorates . if you don't replace it and it comes apart so will you motor if you are doing much more than idle .
i had a friend that was leaning over his engine reving it and it came apart taking part of his arm off before it exited threw the roof . this is a very dangerous situation .
ken
 

·
OLD SCHOOL crew
Joined
·
11,619 Posts
you can buy a new one from ford for 119$ or break some bread and get an sfi approved one. If you really want to go fast you will want the sfi approved one. What ever you buy get it soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
replaced

I replaced mine about a month ago.. I payed $47 at a local auto parts store "Carquest" It looks exactly like the Ford Original.. and it works great.
 

·
Custom User Title:
Joined
·
3,329 Posts
Ford Racing Performance Parts....M-6316-M50. You shoul be able to buy that one for $75.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
ken cryder said:
with that many miles the adheasive that holds the balancer together deteriorates . if you don't replace it and it comes apart so will you motor if you are doing much more than idle .
i had a friend that was leaning over his engine reving it and it came apart taking part of his arm off before it exited threw the roof . this is a very dangerous situation .
ken
yeah ford designed those to last like 8 to 10 years so dont worrie about your crank if its messed up or not you just need to change it asap and when you do find a friend that has a balancer puller or rent one from auto zone or a parts store
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we of course have one at home, I think we have every specialized tool for mustangs. My brother works on his car so much and takes it apart, we them once a week or so:D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
sfi approved

look in summit. I got mine for 189.00.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was quoted $199 for a romac balancer from musclemotors.com, badass balancer gonna buy it later this week
 

·
Watch Me Do Me
Joined
·
7,142 Posts
billybob94 said:
yeah ford designed those to last like 8 to 10 years so dont worrie about your crank if its messed up or not you just need to change it asap and when you do find a friend that has a balancer puller or rent one from auto zone or a parts store
Dont worry about The Crank?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
200 miles to home tomorrow and I'll have a new one in, it's not wobbling that much so I hope I can make it that far

I worry about the crank right now anyway
 

·
Watch Me Do Me
Joined
·
7,142 Posts
stangcrazy said:
200 miles to home tomorrow and I'll have a new one in, it's not wobbling that much so I hope I can make it that far

I worry about the crank right now anyway
You should, i dont see why you shouldnt. Hell it could be the problem!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top