DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about selling one of my guns, but want it to be totally legit. What is the process for selling privately as far as transferring the so called registration and serial numbers to the new owner? I have been scouring the internet trying to find the answer, but cant find anything on it. Thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,002 Posts
If it is somene you know and trust just make out a bill of sale that you two can both sign just for record keeping. If you don't know the person take it to a licensed gun dealer (FFL) and they will charge you somewhere around $35 bucks to transfer it. It is completely legit to just sell it to the person in the state of texas but I always make a bill of sell so that I have it for my records in case something happens.

Kyle
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thiscat2000 said:
I always make a bill of sell so that I have it for my records in case something happens.

Kyle
Yeah. Exactly. I may just take it to a gun shop and see what they have to offer. Thanks.
 

·
That's what she said!
Joined
·
3,896 Posts
thiscat2000 said:
I always make a bill of sell so that I have it for my records in case something happens.

Kyle

I do the same thing as well. I have sold a few guns like this. Unfortunately you do not know who you are selling it to but as long as you have a bill of sale and maybe a copy of the DL you will be ok. Oh... and make sure the bill of sale is signed by both of you.

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
if you know the guy nothing is needed. If you are not sure about him, as others have said, make a bill of sale and have his DL # and the guns serial number on it.
 

·
Gun Nut- Got Lead?
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
to answer your question, you do not have to do anything except get your money. If he looks young ask for ID to ensure proper age but there are no other requirements.

everyone listed good ideas, depends on your comfort level.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Im wanting documentation definately so if something does happen its not registered under my name any longer. Thanks for the info all of you.
 

·
Old Timer
Joined
·
4,027 Posts
Easiest way to transfer with paperwork

Take the gun to a PAWN SHOP, and pawn it for 20 dollars. (after he pays you for the gun minus the 20 bucks)

Have the person who wants it get it out of pawn. They have to fill the paperwork out and pay the 20 bucks plus the interest. He'll have to fill out the paperwork for the firearm and will be in his name.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,483 Posts
Try some gun shops. Some will do it for a fee.
 

·
Saved by Grace
Joined
·
870 Posts
Dacotua said:
Easiest way to transfer with paperwork

Take the gun to a PAWN SHOP, and pawn it for 20 dollars. (after he pays you for the gun minus the 20 bucks)

Have the person who wants it get it out of pawn. They have to fill the paperwork out and pay the 20 bucks plus the interest. He'll have to fill out the paperwork for the firearm and will be in his name.
Not true, only the registered owner can retreive gun from pawn and they still have to fill out all the paper work just like they were buying it all over again. At least thats been my experience in Dallas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,853 Posts
sig239 said:
Try some gun shops. Some will do it for a fee.
+1

most they will charge you will be $25.00. not usually needed if you know them personally or if you do the DL# and firearm serial number, but better safe than sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,637 Posts
72Comet said:
Not true, only the registered owner can retreive gun from pawn and they still have to fill out all the paper work just like they were buying it all over again. At least thats been my experience in Dallas.
not true..I had a friend pawn off his ruger 40cal pistol to pay rent.He owed 125 on the tkt and just gave it to me becuase he had lost his job.I took it and paid it off,And yes they did the required yellow ffl form and it was in my name.Not sure about Dallas but in Tarrant all they care about is who has the tkt and getting there money.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top