DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I love Meat.
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lady I work with, her husband was the off-duty police officer that shot him. I can't even imagine being their with my child to witness this.

Video:
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/suspected-gunman-killed-at-walmart

One dead, one wounded in shooting at Commerce Wal-Mart
By BRAD KELLAR
Herald-Banner Staff

COMMERCE — A gunman was shot and killed, and an off-duty law enforcement officer wounded, Sunday afternoon outside of the Commerce Wal-Mart, in an incident which reportedly began in Greenville.

Two people who were inside the Wal-Mart at the time were also transported to local hospitals with chest pains.

City of Commerce Secretary Marty Cunningham, speaking on behalf of the Commerce Police Department, credited the actions of the off-duty officer for preventing the situation from being even worse.

Reports compiled from the law enforcement agencies involved indicated the suspect, whose identity was not immediately released, was initially observed at 12:16 p.m. driving a red Ford Mustang near the intersection of Wesley Street and Kari Lane in Greenville by a motorist behind the vehicle.

The suspect was said to have pointed a handgun out of the Mustang’s driver’s side window and to have fired three rounds before driving off, southbound on Wesley and then eastbound on Interstate 30.

“Nobody got hit and nobody was hurt,” said Greenville Police Chief Harold Roseberry.

The witness followed the suspect’s vehicle and called the Greenville Police Department, who transferred the 911 call to the Commerce Police Department. Officers with the Commerce Police Department intercepted the Mustang on State Highway 24/50, just outside of the Commerce city limits.

The suspect was said to have exited the Mustang, pointed a gun at Commerce officers and shots were exchanged between the two, with the suspect believed to have been hit at the location. The suspect continued on to the Commerce Wal-Mart where he entered the front entrance of the store carrying a long gun and pistol.

Dr. Yvonne Villanueva-Russell, head of the Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice at Texas A&M University-Commerce, was one of the witnesses inside the store.

“I was there buying groceries and happened to be in the HBA department buying Band-Aids at the time,” she said “It was probably around 12:30 and I heard a loud ruckus. It was just a swell of noise and it continued to grow. Then I heard people screaming and saying ‘Oh, my God. He’s got a gun.’ Then a man ran past saying ‘He’s got a gun. We need to get out. Everybody run.’”

Villanueva-Russell said at that time she grabbed her purse and toward an exit in the store’s lawn and garden department.

“Before I got out of the store I heard shots being fired. I would say two to three shots were fired before I got out of the store. When I ran out there was a police officer parked right outside and was motioning people to run and get out of the store,” she added.

The A&M-Commerce educator said she then I ran north and headed toward the Holiday Inn.

“At that point I probably heard three to four more shots going off and general screaming, people yelling at that point, ‘There he is. There he is. He has a gun.’ There were about 12 of us that ran to Holiday Inn,” she said.

Villanueva-Russell said the hotel’s personnel helped care for those who fled from the scene, locking the doors and bringing them all water.

An off-duty Delta County Sheriff’s Officer, who was in the store shopping with his family, saw the suspect. As the suspect exited the front of the store, he tried to detain the suspect which is when gunshots between he off duty officer, Commerce Police Officers and the suspect began. The suspect was shot and killed, while the off duty officer was wounded.

The officer was air-lifted to East Texas Medical Center in Tyler, where his condition was unknown as of Sunday evening.

It was the third officer involved fatal shooting in Hunt County in a little more than two weeks, with two incidents reported on Feb. 20.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
I dont understand the victim mentality of the people in the store...some got chest pains just from the experience. "Everybody run for you lives!" :rolleyes:

·
$uper $low
5,782 Posts
"Two people who were inside the Wal-Mart at the time were also transported to local hospitals with chest pains."

Probably two fat fucks in the automatic chairs.

·
Trust me!
2,179 Posts
I'm taking Wal-Mart to court! Watching this on TV gave me chest pains and now I can never work again.

·
African Booty Scratcher
13,150 Posts
reason # 94684318 i will pay twice as much for any given item before i will step foot in that shithole.

god bless.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
So they had a pain in therr shess... and dey cun breaf?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SPb31jX5l5w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SPb31jX5l5w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

·
Custom Title
16,520 Posts
reason # 94684318 i will pay twice as much for any given item before i will step foot in that shithole.

god bless.

I hear ya! I hate Walmart, and not just because of the people that shop there, the corporation is a POS.

·
Insane In The Membrane
5,575 Posts
well the walmart at park and tollway is pretty nice BUT the super target @ park and tollway is MILF central so the choice is easy.
Word to ur Mother! My office window looks out directly at the Target parking lot!

I Milf watched the first two weeks I moved in. he he

·
I love Meat.
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hope the LEO is OK. Good shooting under stress.:AR15firing:
March 9, 2010

Deputy hailed as hero in Commerce shooting
By BRAD KELLAR
Herald-Banner Staff

COMMERCE — Delta County Sheriff’s Deputy Paul Robertson was being hailed as a hero Monday, for helping prevent an armed man from wounding anyone else during an incident at the Commerce Wal-Mart Sunday afternoon.

Robertson, who was off duty and shopping in the store at the time, was sharing the credit with officers from the Commerce Police Department for stopping Artenio Rodriguez.

Delta County Sheriff Gerald W. Teague said Robertson, who was shot once during the encounter with Rodriguez, had been released from a Tyler hospital and was recovering at home Monday. Teague said he was proud, but not surprised, at the actions taken by his deputy.

“He’s the type of guy of guy who did what needed to be done,” Teague said. “He saw a situation and took care of it.”

Commerce Police Chief Kerry Crews also thanked Robertson, as well as his men, for their efforts during the incident.

“The quick response and action by Commerce Police and off duty Deputy Paul Robertson eliminated injuries to innocent bystanders,” Crews said in a statement released Monday. “Officers train for this type of incident in hopes of never having to use that training. The officers involved had to use their training and experience and were able to overcome the threat. Without the quick thinking of Deputy Paul Robertson I believe that more people could have been injured.”

Rodriguez, 29, of the Commerce area and who has a criminal history in Hunt County, was officially identified Monday as the individual who shot Robertson after opening fire on Commerce police officers. Rodriguez also reportedly fired several rounds in Greenville about 15 minutes before arriving in Commerce Sunday.

Emily Vaughn said she was a point blank witness to Rodriguez during the earlier gunfire.

“He actually shot at me,” Vaughn said.

Sunday’s shooting incidents remained under investigation Monday by the Commerce Police Department and the Texas Rangers. The Commerce Wal-Mart re-opened for business Monday.

Rodriguez was observed by witnesses driving a red Ford Mustang in the vicinity of Wesley Street and Kari Lane at around 12:15 p.m. Sunday.

Vaughn said she watched as Rodriguez drove slowly toward her vehicle as she was stopped at the intersection.

“He had just come through the other light,” Vaughn said, adding she thought the Mustang was experiencing engine trouble, due to the slow and erratic nature of how Rodriguez was driving.

Vaughn noticed as Rodriguez pulled alongside, shouting something.

“I couldn’t hear but he yelled something mean,” Vaughn said, adding that Rodriguez appeared angry. “I don’t know what he was thinking.”

Vaughn was on a cell phone, talking to her fiancee when she saw something even more shocking.

“He was pointing a gun out the window,” Vaughn said, which she observed right before hearing one of the three rounds Rodriguez was reported to have fired at the location. “It made my ears ring it was so loud. I told my fiancee I had been shot.”

Fortunately, neither Vaughn nor her vehicle were struck by gunfire, but Vaughn said she was startled by the experience.

“We both called 911,” Vaughn said. “I thought maybe I had imagined the whole thing.”

A witness to the incident with Vaughn followed the Mustang as it drove off and called the Greenville Police Department, who transferred the 911 call to the Commerce Police Department. Officers with the Commerce Police Department intercepted Rodriguez on State Highway 24/50, just outside of the Commerce city limits.

The officers and Rodriguez exchanged gunfire at the location and Rodriguez was believed to have been wounded at that time, but was able to continue on to the Commerce Wal-Mart, where he exited his car and entered the front doors of the business, displaying a rifle and pistol.

“He (Robertson) saw people running and screaming,” Teague said of the deputy, who was in the store with his wife and infant child. “He told his wife to take the baby to the back of the store and stay there.”

According to information released Monday evening, Robertson was said to have spotted Rodriguez, identified himself as law enforcement and ordered Rodriguez to drop his weapons. After failing to do so, Rodriguez opened fire on Robertson. Commerce Police Officers were on scene and were able to take Rodriguez down immediately before anyone else could get hurt.

Crews also thanked Hunt County Sheriff Randy Meeks and Greenville Police Chief Harold Roseberry for the assistance they provided.

“An incident of this magnitude tests the resources a small department has,” Crews said. “If we didn’t have assistance from both Hunt County SO and Greenville PD it would have been more difficult to manage.”

Teague said Robertson, who has been with the department for about four years, received a gunshot wound in the right chest, but was released from East Texas Medical Center Monday morning.

“He’s at home,” Teague said. “He’s doing good. He’s just real sore.”

Rodriguez had a history of encounters with law enforcement in Hunt County in the past, but nothing of a violent nature. Records at the Hunt County Courthouse, obtained Monday by the Herald-Banner, revealed he was arrested by the Commerce Police Department in 2001 on charges of unlawfully carrying a weapon and driving while license suspended. Both charges were later dismissed. He was also arrested in 2003 by the Texas Highway Patrol on a misdemeanor charge of driving while intoxicated and was placed on nine months of probation which he successfully completed.

Rodriguez pleaded guilty in the 354th District Court on April 10, 2002 to a felony charge of possession of between five and 50 pounds of marijuana. He was placed on seven years of deferred adjudication probation and was fined $1,000. Again, court records indicate Rodriguez completed the probation without incident and with no motions filed seeking a revocation.

Rodriguez did not have an address or telephone listed in Hunt County Monday. During the earlier incidents, Rodriguez provided an address in Dallas, which Monday was listed as belonging to a beauty parlor. No one answered the phone when called Monday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts