DFW Mustang Forums banner

Good cam to go with 1.7 rockers?

840 views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  openroadracer3 
#1 ·
I'm rebuilding the engine, so I'll have it apart anyway. Might as well get a good cam in there to go with the new heads and rockers.

Ported and polished E7's w/ 1.7 roller rockers, carb'd.

Whatcha think?

#5 ·
LMAO @ the Bcam!!

for once and for all, do not use that piece of shit... it is a lazy-ramped POS that was designed to be used with stock valve springs... that's why it's got turtle nuts for lift and too much seat duration. it's JUNK!

my wagon went 12.60's with cleaned up E7's, E303, and stock rockers... ('course, it went 11.90's with cleaned up GT40's and a B303, but it was a lot lighter and was a way different car at the time. I'm here to tell ya, the Bcam is a POS!!)

my little bro's car shagged ass w/ cleaned up E7's, F303, and stock rockers...

I would run something small like an E303 or a TFS stage 1 w/ the 1.7's.

what's the rest of your combo look like?

Forrest

#6 ·
Cooter said:
LMAO @ the Bcam!!

for once and for all, do not use that piece of shit... it is a lazy-ramped POS that was designed to be used with stock valve springs... that's why it's got turtle nuts for lift and too much seat duration. it's JUNK!

my wagon went 12.60's with cleaned up E7's, E303, and stock rockers... ('course, it went 11.90's with cleaned up GT40's and a B303, but it was a lot lighter and was a way different car at the time. I'm here to tell ya, the Bcam is a POS!!)

my little bro's car shagged ass w/ cleaned up E7's, F303, and stock rockers...

I would run something small like an E303 or a TFS stage 1 w/ the 1.7's.

Forrest
hey my car had b cam 1.7s ported e7s
and that car ran its ass off....hella street car

#12 · (Edited)
Cool! Thanks for the responses guys.

Cooter said:

Forrest
Forged pistons
Edelbrock 600cfm carb -I have a feeling I'm going to need to go bigger/Holley with this.
Edelbrock RPM manifold
Hedman 88400 shorty headers (to clear the clutch cable conversion)
Am I forgetting anything?

Edit:
Is this the TFS Stage 1?
http://store.summitracing.com/defau...earchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp

I haven't found anywhere that lists the cams as "stage 1" or "stage 2", etc..

#13 ·
BLAKE said:
Cool! Thanks for the responses guys.

Forged pistons
Edelbrock 600cfm carb -I have a feeling I'm going to need to go bigger/Holley with this.
Edelbrock RPM manifold
Hedman 88400 shorty headers (to clear the clutch cable conversion)
Am I forgetting anything?
put a double pumper on it and put some 4.10's out back. it'll get down! :D

Forrest

#17 ·
Red5oh said:
Forrest,

What is your take on the 2031?
can't remember the specs offhand, but I believe that's the cam Scott (White Trash Wagon) is running in his fairmont...

untouched GT40-P heads, Weiand Stealth, 650 double pumper, 2031 cam with 1.6's (it's designed for 1.7's) and FMS shorties. he put down 299rwhp.

good cam if you can find a good deal on one.

Forrest

#18 ·
Duration at 050: 214/220
Lift: 0.513/0.529
Lobe Separation:112

Yeah, its made for the 1.7's.

I have untouched GT40's, upper/lower, shorties and an AOD. I was looking for something that would work with the AOD and not cause any bucking.

I had a 2031 back in the day, but it was on a 5 speed and there I didnt have to worry about the bucking.

I would be happy with 235hp right now...

#19 ·
Cooter said:
TFS 1 is part number: TFS-51402000

good lookin' ride. you putting a T5 in it?

please put an x-pipe and chambered mufflers on it! :D
Sweet, that's the one.

Thanks man. Yeah, I'm putting a T5 in it. Should be more fun than the C4 and allow for some real gears. I'll probably just run straight pipes and keep the "turbo" muffs for now while I save my pennies for a decent rear end. I'll keep your X/chambers plan in mind though. ;)

#22 ·
BLAKE said:
Sweet, that's the one.

Thanks man. Yeah, I'm putting a T5 in it. Should be more fun than the C4 and allow for some real gears. I'll probably just run straight pipes and keep the "turbo" muffs for now while I save my pennies for a decent rear end. I'll keep your X/chambers plan in mind though. ;)
my cousin put a T5 in his 67 Cougar. made it a whole different car! :D

definately work with what you've got, but there's nothing sexier than an x-pipe w/ some chambered mufflers. the car's got the looks... give it the song to match ;)

Forrest

#24 ·
Danny said:
muffs... lol

Blake, I'm not even sure.. is your engine set up for a roller cam? All the block needs is the holes drilled and tapped for the spider, but the lifters and pushrods are different too. I remember you saying it's an '85 engine...
Pulled from an 85 GT, but the block is of a 91ish vintage. Spider is already there. :D

Cooter said:
my cousin put a T5 in his 67 Cougar. made it a whole different car!
Cool! I love hearing that.

Cooter said:
definately work with what you've got, but there's nothing sexier than an x-pipe w/ some chambered mufflers. the car's got the looks... give it the song to match
Oh man, I know you're right. Too bad that money tree I planted in the back yard hasn't been growing worth a shit. :mad:

:D

#25 ·
You could buy some used stuff off of this board for next to nothing. I just got some 1-chambers for dirt cheap a couple of weeks ago. (dad's vette, lol)

Hack up an X-pipe and a pair of 2.5" 2-chambers and you're in business.

I was just checking to make sure that these cam selections were valid. ;) Comp Xtreme has some nice milder grinds as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.