Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Carry a semi auto

Votes: 25 80.6%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of the mag release getting pushed and popping the mag out inadvertently. I also don't want to worry about having to hit the mag back in place if I ever need the gun.

Should I go back to carrying a revolver for conceal carry?

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
My dad just got one of those tiny 5 shot titanium smith and wessons, and I love it. It is close to an ipod in weight and is incredibly slim.

I like the idea of carrying a revolver. You know it will work every time you need it, no matter what. I have never owned an automatic small caliber pistol that never jammed on me. My dad used to carry one of those Sigs that looks like a walther, and the other day at the range the first mag he put in jammed the damn thing twice.

As soon as my chl comes in the mail I will probably end up buying a small smith j frame or a Ruger LCR.

·
Cummins > Powerstroke
19,065 Posts
What gun are you carrying? I have NEVER had a problem with the mag release being pushed and a magazine popping out. Im carrying an XD45 in a crossbreed super tuck. The tuck has the combat grip which 1/2 the inside mag release is covered by the leather. I dont see any way to push the inside mag release.

The outside release is completely exposed but you would have to push it pretty hard against something for it to release the mag.

What gun and what holster are you using. Also, what position do you carry at?

·
I miss Colorado
2,310 Posts
Like Doc mentions, the Ruger LCR is a neat little pistol. Its the first polymer frame revolver.

The only bad thing about those super light weight guns is its gonna kick like a freaking mule.

I am 100% behind a carrying a revolver. Nothing to get in the way, and its not going to jam. You simply pull the gun out, point, and shoot. Its that simple.

·
Premium Member
14,194 Posts
All comes down to maintenance and gun design for you application of carrying.

Ive had revolvers jam and Ive had semi autos jam. Ive never had a mag release get tripped unless Im doing it myself. Typically helps to know your weapons and it design means.

·
Lifer
12,430 Posts
All comes down to maintenance and gun design for you application of carrying.

Ive had revolvers jam and Ive had semi autos jam. Ive never had a mag release get tripped unless Im doing it myself. Typically helps to know your weapons and it design means.
WTF were you shooting? An old RG 38?

I've never seen a modern wheel gun jam on factory ammo, and I used to carry one every day on duty. I have seen cases get stuck in the cylinder on hot hand loaded stuff, but you should never carry home made rounds for concealed carry.

·
T-MINUS
28,539 Posts
Probably not a bad idea. I just always like have more rounds to distribute fairly.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The gun this is happening with is a Springfield XD40 subcompact. The mag release gets pressed during regular body movement like bending or sitting. It happens with or without a holster and happens with my other semi autos. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen and I don't like worrying about it.

I'm also considering carrying 2 small revolvers. I should have added a "Carry 2 revolvers" option to the poll. :disappointed:

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
The gun this is happening with is a Springfield XD40 subcompact. The mag release gets pressed during regular body movement like bending or sitting. It happens with or without a holster and happens with my other semi autos. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen and I don't like worrying about it.

I'm also considering carrying 2 small revolvers. I should have added a "Carry 2 revolvers" option to the poll. :disappointed:
You could just carry one and a speedloader if you are worried about 5 rounds of .38+p not killing someone.

·
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
3,770 Posts
You could just carry one and a speedloader if you are worried about 5 rounds of .38+p not killing someone.
The S&W 642 (j frame, .38 spc, hammerless, Airweight) comes with a factory Hogue grip that does not allow the use of a speed loader.

I carry my 642 all the time in my pocket. It's comfy and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Oh yeah, I PREFER to carry a semi-auto, but work attire does not always make that possible, so the revolver gets the nod more times than not lately.

·
Rolling with the homies
43,268 Posts

I can't say I've ever had that problem before. And this is going back into the early 90's and carry Glock's and 1911's in various IWB holsters. What kind of holster are you using? I prefer a Kydex one and currently own several Comp-Tac holsters that completely cover the trigger area.

I have a small 2" barrel Taurus M85 but I wouldn't want to carry it concealed over my Glock 27. Yes you can carry an extra speed loader but I'm not proficient with it and it's no where near as quick as slapping a magazine into a semi-auto pistol.

Are you a big guy or a skinny guy? I just can't figure out how you would accidentally be hitting the magazine release. I'm betting a change of holsters would fix your problem.

·
Lifer
12,430 Posts
The S&W 642 (j frame, .38 spc, hammerless, Airweight) comes with a factory Hogue grip that does not allow the use of a speed loader.

I carry my 642 all the time in my pocket. It's comfy and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Oh yeah, I PREFER to carry a semi-auto, but work attire does not always make that possible, so the revolver gets the nod more times than not lately.
WTF?

I have one:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=15704&isFirearm=Y

And I carry two speedloaders that work just fine.

LOL at all the electric gun fans....

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
I carried a bobbed-hammer, 5-shot .38 Smith (when we weren't supposed too). 100% reliabilty. If you can't hit 'em with 5 rounds, go back to the range!:tounge-in-cheek:

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
I carried a bobbed-hammer, 5-shot .38 Smith (when we weren't supposed too). 100% reliabilty. If you can't hit 'em with 5 rounds, go back to the range!:tounge-in-cheek:
I agree. I never understood the, "I need 15 rds to stop a mugger" mentality. In all scenarios I can imagine pertaining to concealed carry, 5 shots are adequate. I am not a police officer and will never see an intense John McClain shootout (I know ill get a few "YOU NEVER KNOW DUDE!1!!"s on this one).

And thanks for clearing up the speedloader thing Trublu, good to know the small smiths can use them.

·
#4 Best QB Ever
29,339 Posts
WTF were you shooting? An old RG 38?

I've never seen a modern wheel gun jam on factory ammo, and I used to carry one every day on duty.
It happens. If you shoot dirty ammo and let unburnt powder flakes and soot and sweat build up, it can lock up the cylinder.
I have seen cases get stuck in the cylinder on hot hand loaded stuff, but you should never carry home made rounds for concealed carry.
Oh, why not?

I've got a Model 60 with the factory Hogue grip that presents no problem with a speedloader.
I agree. I never understood the, "I need 15 rds to stop a mugger" mentality. In all scenarios I can imagine pertaining to concealed carry, 5 shots are adequate. I am not a police officer and will never see an intense John McClain shootout (I know ill get a few "YOU NEVER KNOW DUDE!1!!"s on this one).
Yeah, YOU NEVER KNOW DUDE!1!! I carry either my Model 60 and 2 speedloaders (15 rounds) or my Glock 29 and 2 Glock 20 magazines (41 rounds). If you've got the extra pocket space, you might as well use it imo.

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
Nice revolver. How hard does that thing kick with +p ammunition?

·
Lifer
12,430 Posts
It's not painful, but it's a substantial kick. You need to hold onto it with a sturdy grip when shooting +P ammo. I really like shooting .38 wadcutters through it.

As to be expected, recoil is more than a .38 special round, but not as much as a snub nose with a .357 Magnum round.

I have faith that the .38 +P will put a subject down.

If not, I have a total of 15 round on me at all times.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts