DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I go back with GM Syncro mesh tranny fluid in my
T45? The mechanic that has pulled the tranny and drained
it ask me what I was running in it because it looked like motor
oil. YIKEES!!! I saw it and sure enough it was black and crappy.
I thought tranny fluid was red.....I have owned the car a year
and a half and one of the first things I did was have GM syncro
mesh put in it. Sould go back to stock Dextron II?

I MISS MY CAR! The little explorer is not cutting it.

· Registered
783 Posts
you have a 5-speed right? if so you need to put gear oil in the trans., and not transmition fluid. that is for auto's. I would suggest that you put syncromesh in there, it cost a little more but is worth is on those cold mornings. You can actuall put 5w-30 in the t-5s but i wouldent recomend it. Good luck.

· OLD SCHOOL crew
11,186 Posts
garrison89' said:
you have a 5-speed right? if so you need to put gear oil in the trans., and not transmition fluid. that is for auto's. I would suggest that you put syncromesh in there, it cost a little more but is worth is on those cold mornings. You can actuall put 5w-30 in the t-5s but i wouldent recomend it. Good luck.
T-5's call for Dexron Mercon ATF, not sure about the t-45 :D

Tremec calls for the GM synchromesh

· Along for the ride
6,569 Posts
32VfromHell said:
for a t-45 use the dextron mercon III ATF. Gear oil= bad.
man, i actually agree with ryan on this one. i just bought a brand new tremec t45 from D&D and this is what i'm runnin. this is what they recommended.

marcus

· Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea.......ATF all the way thats what I "thought" went the T5 & T45
from the factory. Why I don't know.

"I'm your Hucklelberry" The best line ever....Doc Holiday in Tombstone to Jonny Ringo. That and "my hypocrisy only go's
so far".

Still no freaking car........looks like after Christmas.

· Beer Swillin' *******
1,369 Posts
Early T-5's came from the factory with 5W30 engine oil, but by 1985 Ford was using Mercon in them exclusively.

The manual trans is one situation where dinosaur oil might be better. I have run Mobil One in my T5 before and it felt like the trans was harder to shift and whined more? Maybe the oil was too slick for the blocker rings, I dunno? Anyhow, I went back to Vavoline high mileage trans fluid & I like that the best, the T5 shifts like butter.

· Along for the ride
6,569 Posts
DarkPony said:
you can be my bitch too :D
:cool: tag teaming on the red slowbra...hahhahahhahah

ryan's got a new cobra motor, new rebuilt trans, and a built rear. he SHOULD be able to get some good times ("should" being the key word for his no driving ass :p ).

marcus

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.