DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
ebay pimp
Joined
·
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading the business section of today's paper and an analyst predicted GM will go out of business, and Ford was not too far behind. The article stated that GM's shrinking sales when coupled with it's astounding healthcare cost , retirement benefit comittments and union driven labor cost spelled DOOM for them. Although the analyst thought our government would NOT allow this to happen, and thier would likely be bailouts to prevent GM & Ford from going belly up.

Scott
 

·
Get Some!! Get some!!
Joined
·
3,985 Posts
Bailouts yah! look at what happen to the aviation industry.
 

·
Blue5spd's a titty baby
Joined
·
13,472 Posts
Another industry is going down the shitter due to unions getting too greedy.
 

·
That's my Ass
Joined
·
1,644 Posts
I just read that ford showed profit due from 05 mustangs sales and that they have the #1 selling truck right now for like 5 years running. I do not see them going under. Chevy on the other hand good riddens they have came out with some pure junk lately.
 

·
ebay pimp
Joined
·
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems it's mostly the $5 billion a year they spend on healthcare, and the $20 billion they have in pension comittments that's hurting them, far more than the unions. And Ford has a similar monkey on thier backs.

Scott
 

·
T-MINUS
Joined
·
28,539 Posts
cool cat said:
Another industry is going down the shitter due to unions getting too greedy.
Word.

GM has been in a downward spiral for years. They are finally turning out decent products again, but the actual business has been run so poorly for so long that it's going to be hard to pull it out. I'm guessing since they are one of the single largest employers in the world, they will get bail out help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
White trash wagon said:
It seems it's mostly the $5 billion a year they spend on healthcare, and the $20 billion they have in pension comittments that's hurting them, far more than the unions. And Ford has a similar monkey on thier backs.

Scott
Where do you think the $5 billion and $20 billion comitments came from?


I'm betting that GM (and probably Ford) will declare chapter 11 bankruptcy and dump off their obligations to fund all the retirement that's costing them so much. They'll probably also take advantage of the time to shut down more plants in heavily union areas. Once they come out of bankruptcy, they'll open new plants in areas of the country where they don't have to pander to unions as much.
 

·
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
Joined
·
14,997 Posts
Please, GM owns and does more than just the Automotive industry.

But I do agree, f-ing unions being greedy. I'd rather see the end of unions to help with this and all the other problems major companies are being faced with.
 

·
Procrastination Racing
Joined
·
9,224 Posts
derf said:
Where do you think the $5 billion and $20 billion comitments came from?


they'll open new plants in areas of the country where they don't have to pander to unions as much.
Like Mexico
 

·
Lost in suburbia HELLLLLL
Joined
·
4,295 Posts
Who Needs 8 said:
Please, GM owns and does more than just the Automotive industry.

But I do agree, f-ing unions being greedy. I'd rather see the end of unions to help with this and all the other problems major companies are being faced with.

Yep you are exactly correct, Ford and GM aren't going anywhere, their automotive is not their bread and butter. They have so many ventures it is unreal. They make alot of money from there Finance companies, oversees sales, and all the other business that they own. I don't see those 2 companies going anywhere.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
Yeah, they won't go under. But, they might "right size" in the future. Certain divisions will go bye-bye. GM has way too many brands.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,774 Posts
Hell Ford is one of the biggest auto manufactures in the world, the us market isnt the market share for them, but you never know.
 

·
Got Lateral G's??
Joined
·
9,822 Posts
Why do you think Chrysler has been building cars in Mexico and Canada for so damn long......??
 

·
23
Joined
·
3,454 Posts
unions!

derf said:
Where do you think the $5 billion and $20 billion comitments came from?


I'm betting that GM (and probably Ford) will declare chapter 11 bankruptcy and dump off their obligations to fund all the retirement that's costing them so much. They'll probably also take advantage of the time to shut down more plants in heavily union areas. Once they come out of bankruptcy, they'll open new plants in areas of the country where they don't have to pander to unions as much.
yea shut down the unions and take away all the pension that these people have worked many years for, we can have hector and lorenzo build these cars and trucks for us and shit in the corners and leave the toilet paper behind! yea that would be COOL maybe u could be one of the jerk offs that could pay an extra $2000 for the shit paper pin stripping down the side of your car! sorry the unions and retirements is not the problem! major companies are really getting hit like we are and its harder for them to hide money any more! the oil man himself is eating it up now! look at the cost of a barrel of oil over $50 for a barrel and that aint no 55 gallon drum really 33 gallons ;)
 

·
Lost in suburbia HELLLLLL
Joined
·
4,295 Posts
Yeah no shit, since they did just spend 1 billion dollars building Job 1 plant.
 

·
Old Timer
Joined
·
4,027 Posts
MrEd said:
yea shut down the unions and take away all the pension that these people have worked many years for, we can have hector and lorenzo build these cars and trucks for us and shit in the corners and leave the toilet paper behind! yea that would be COOL maybe u could be one of the jerk offs that could pay an extra $2000 for the shit paper pin stripping down the side of your car! sorry the unions and retirements is not the problem! major companies are really getting hit like we are and its harder for them to hide money any more! the oil man himself is eating it up now! look at the cost of a barrel of oil over $50 for a barrel and that aint no 55 gallon drum really 33 gallons ;)
Actually the Unions are a MAJOR waste of money for the auto industry.

Give me a freaking break. When a machine shuts down, the worker at that machine will just sit there. When asked to turn it back on, he'll say NO, its not his job, its so and so's job. So he wont do it until the other person comes around and turns it on. Since when does UNSKILLED LABOR need to get paid 25 dollars a hour? Let the market drive the price.

Its PATHETIC that 2600 dollars on every car that GM charges for is going to Benifits for their UNION. And the unions keep asking for more.

Give you an example. When I lived in Pennsylvania, A union put a machine shop out of business. The owner of the business confronted the union that he couldn't afford to pay the workers any more than what they are already paying them and that the business couldn't afford to increase the benifits. The owner even showed the Union Leaders the companies books to support his claim. What did the Union do? Went on Strike, forcing the company into bankruptcy. Who benifited from that? No one, the Union just wanted to show that it was the boss.

I dont blame the US Auto makers to move their plants to Mexico. If the unions want to stop that, STOP Demanding extremely inflated demands.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top