DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
World Record Holder!
12,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2001 GMC started acting squirrely when I would put on the brakes yesterday. And today at lunch, it was really bad. I get under the truck and look and the rear shocks are bent almost in two. I've always had a weird clunk when I start off after a brisk stop. The clunk is followed by a distinct drive shaft "ding". So the axle is rotating somewhere in the suspension. I took it back when it was still under warranty (now has 57K miles on it) and they replaced the rear shackles and that seemed to fix it until it got out of warranty and it started doing it again. I've been under the truck a couple of times looking for the cause but haven't seen anything. I figured I'd wait until it "broke" and then fix it. I guess this is a hint of things to come. Damn thing needs brakes as well. When it rains it pours. :( I kept telling myself when the wife's Honda is paid off I'm getting a new truck but with the new kiddo a couple of months away, I might be driving a mini van instead! :( :( :(

UPDATE: Well, I replaced the rear shocks and that didn't fix it. I started listening more carefully and heard the distinct sound of a bolt rattling in the front. Well as it turns out the uppper A-arm on the front passenger side was about to fall off! Geeezzzz, my pregnant wife drove this thing today! GM sucks ass is all I have to say. Some lazy bastard making 30$ an hour must have been too tired to tighten a bolt!!!

·
Still Slow
2,594 Posts
That really sucks, the late 90's early 00's were really bad for the GM trucks, I would get a Jap truck next time but thats just my opinion.....

·
Registered
528 Posts
....but with the new kiddo a couple of months away, I might be driving a mini van instead! :( :( :([/QUOTE]

i would drive a SUV before i ever drove a mini van :eek:

·
Make 7 Up Yours
2,433 Posts
302_plus_a_few said:
Yes, 2nd and final one. No freakin more. I'm gonna get snipped this cumming winter.
Naw dude, while she is having the baby having them take care of the plumbing. No swollen nuts for you and no more babies either!

·
Moved to dfw mustangs.net
20,572 Posts
mach1 said:
That really sucks, the late 90's early 00's were really bad for the GM trucks, I would get a Jap truck next time but thats just my opinion.....
I'm holding onto hope.. my 99 'rado has 103k on it and still going strong..

·
Got Lateral G's??
9,822 Posts
302_plus_a_few said:
Yes, 2nd and final one. No freakin more. I'm gonna get snipped this cumming winter.

Nice Fruedian slip!!!!

Buy a cummins dodge!!!

Sorry for the "cum" shots!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
lowthreeohz said:
I'm holding onto hope.. my 99 'rado has 103k on it and still going strong..
My 2000 has 122K on it, still runs like a champ. Other than replacing U-Joints, no problems at all.

·
World Record Holder!
12,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AnesthesiA said:
Naw dude, while she is having the baby having them take care of the plumbing. No swollen nuts for you and no more babies either!
Makes no sense for her to get snipped. She is 14 years younger than me. If I croak some time soon, she can still pop them out with someone else.
aggie97 said:
Nice Fruedian slip!!!!

Buy a cummins dodge!!!

Sorry for the "cum" shots!!!!
Too damn expensive. I want a 4-dr truck like a Titan or F150.

·
iHustle
8,769 Posts
Man, my 2000 GMC has NEVER been to the dealer, and never had a problem. Only thing thats funky on it is the gas gauge....around 100k, it started reading erratic once it gets down to 1/4 tank...other than that, I change the oil every year or so, and just drive it!

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Cmarsh93z said:
Man, my 2000 GMC has NEVER been to the dealer, and never had a problem. Only thing thats funky on it is the gas gauge....around 100k, it started reading erratic once it gets down to 1/4 tank...other than that, I change the oil every year or so, and just drive it!

Chris
I too have the erratic fuel gauge. Mine has more problems when the tank is full.

·
Strong to Quite Strong
1,162 Posts
My 1997 Yukon has been great. The only things I have done are U-joints, speed sensitive steering valve, and a fuel pump. It has 141k on the clock.

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
We had a front shock problem on our 1500 mile 2005 Tahoe. They replaced the mounting bracket as well.

·
Got Lateral G's??
9,822 Posts
302_plus_a_few said:
Makes no sense for her to get snipped. She is 14 years younger than me. If I croak some time soon, she can still pop them out with someone else.
Too damn expensive. I want a 4-dr truck like a Titan or F150.
Well, I was at the ford dealer yesterday for a quick stop and what I saw on the stickers made my truck look like a bargain. The day I pay the same money for a 1/2 ton ford 2wd as a 2500 4x4 Diesel dodge is the day I become ruler of the earth!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ive heard the erratic gas gauge is a common problem on the Gm trucks. I have a 99 and my guage act wierd sometimes also. Ive heard its the sending unit in the tank but im not positive. They say pulling the bed off the truck is the quickest way to fix it but im not sure.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts