DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright guys...I bought a pro-kit used and all last night I was trying to put in the front springs even with a spring compressor. I have the A-arm dangling and the tie rod disconnected. These damn springs just don't want to go in. Is there a trick???? I've been trying to put the tall springs up front, is this right. They are lowering springs so they should go right in. I know the back springs won't be that big of a deal, it's just the fucking fronts. Help me out here fellas.... Thanks Mike

·
None
12,675 Posts
Use a jack on the opposite a-arm. It will cause the a-arm on the opposite side to extend more than the shock will allow by just weight.

·
Kickin ass WFO style
469 Posts
springs

OK dude here is what i have done before , when i was in a pinch. Put a floor jasck under the control arm , get a 2x4 under the bottem of the spring and lift up, while jacking this allows the spring to slide into the pocket. sometime a BFH is need to help this process

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Re: springs

PaCemkr86 said:
OK dude here is what i have done before , when i was in a pinch. Put a floor jasck under the control arm , get a 2x4 under the bottem of the spring and lift up, while jacking this allows the spring to slide into the pocket. sometime a BFH is need to help this process
Be careful and stay to the side.

·
Resident Pinstriper
5,190 Posts
We had a helluva time getting my Pro Kit on also, until we figured it out. We just let the A-arm fall completely down, even pushing it down as far as we could, then putting a big fucking pry bar under the spring and finally popped it into place. After it took us forever on the left side, it was like 10 minutes for the right side. I hate that, when you can't get something to work, then you do, and the same thing but on the opposite side takes no time !! Good luck, and don't let the spring pop out and kill you !

-Aaron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update fellas...I used the piece of shit auto zone spring compressor and compressed the spring...Then I took 10 or so 175lb. tensile strength zip ties and tied the spring down...removed the compressor and installed the springs. Then I cut the zip ties and pulled them out...How's that for some southern engineering!!!!!! Driver's side tomorrow

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
confused

I have always just disconnected the strut, sway bar, caliper, and have never even used a spring compressor. I have switched springs on like 5 or 6 cars. well, I guess all cars are different and some might need it. also, this might be a reason i have never had to use one, I have only installed specific rate springs. don't know if these are shorter than your prokit, being that they are a progressive rate spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts